Laminate Floor Question

Old 10-29-05, 11:18 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Laminate Floor Question

I am wondering if I need to make any alterations to my subfloor to accommodate the laminate flooring I recently purchased. Currently, there is old, ruined hardwood flooring in my living room. The floor is extremely worn beyond repair over most of the area. Also, some of the boards have begun to cup and separate at the joints of the hardwood slats (due to moisture from spills on the old carpet that were never cleaned). The floor appears to level to spec in areas where there is no cupping. I can’t assess areas where there is cupping, however.

My questions are:

Can I just lay down the laminate over the existing wood flooring.

Should I just lay down a thin layer of ply (about ¼”)?

OR

Should I rip out the existing wood flooring? I would like to avoid this because it would be rather labor intensive.

Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-05, 10:26 AM
M
Any takers on this question? I am planning to start my install soon.

Thanks

Old 01-25-06, 07:51 AM
P
Have you decided what to do or found any more information? I'm facing the same thing and looking for more info about it.

Old 01-25-06, 10:07 AM
i don't have all the answers for you, but i DO know that you can't lay your new floor over a floor that has cupping. your new floor will flex downward in the cupped areas, causing the tongues to eventually crack in these areas & then the planks will separate. the floor will fail & you won't have any warranty because your prep wasn't done properly.

i believe you need to fill the valleys with leveling compound or shims, but i don't have all the how-to details for you on that. sorry!