Different woods in adjoining rooms?

Old 11-02-05, 01:05 AM
JBK
Visiting Guest
Cool Different woods in adjoining rooms?

A couple years ago, we put hardwood floors in our kitchen and hallways. This was tongue-in-groove, and I did a polyurethane finish. It turned out great, with a very rich honey-oak color. Except for the hallway where our 3-year-old overflowed a toilet and it flowed out the door and under the flooring, we absolutely love the results.

Now it is time to replace the old carpet in our adjacent living room, and after seeing this wood, can not bring ourselves to put down another "stain collecting lint trap" (carpet). We want to go with wood in the living room.

After doing a bedroom with laminate flooring, I would much rather do the living room with that than the labor-intensive hardwood I put in the kitchen. I'm THROUGH with the tongue-nailing and the sanding . . . Also, because we had purchased the hardwood at a surplus sale, I have not been able to find more.

If we are to put flooring in the living room, it will therefore not match the adjoining kitchen.

Has anyone had any experience with two different wood floors in adjoining rooms? There is no door, wall, or other architectural division between the rooms. We have thought about possibly putting down a tile transition. Also, because the woods would not match, I think it would probably be better to make them very different. I would probably go with a very light color in the living room.

If anyone has seen this done, please let me know how it looked, or how common it is. Also, if anyone has any photos, or knows where I can find photos on the 'net, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-05, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i've seen it many times and it's always hideous. sorry. mixing laminate flooring with real wood flooring is a disaster. mixing 2 different wood floors always looks like one was an afterthought.

if i were you, i'd find a nice carpet for the living room. we have berber and love it. it's not a lint trap, actually i find it's much easier to vacuum than sweep & mop. and with a no-food-in-the-living-room rule, stains aren't a problem.

Old 11-02-05, 05:54 PM
You can always border the kitchen area to set it off and use a contrasting wood in the other area.
Having the other area at a 45 to the kitchen that is now bordered, adds to the looks, and is a custom floor.

A border across an opening is a wall that is not there. It makes a statement that this is the kitchen.

Old 11-22-05, 09:03 AM
B
JBK: Did you decide on what you are going to do? We have a similar situation. The old floors are already in the house. There are 2 types of hardwood: one in the kitchen area which opens to the living room where the other type of hardwood is. Both wood planks are similar, so we plan on sanding and staining it together.

Old 11-22-05, 09:08 AM
T
There are also prefinished solid hardwood flooring products available that will save the steps of sanding and finishing.