Laminate under fridge

Old 11-04-05, 09:29 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate under fridge

So wha is the best way to deal w/ laying laminate under a fridge.
I see 2 problems related to this, weight and water.
On one hand, it's supposed to be free-floating, so you'd think, don't have the fridge pinning it down. plus there is always chance of a leak, from the icemaker line etc. I have heard of folks puttin ga sheet of plywood under them instead.
However in my case (as I'm sure is common) the drige is at the end of the counter and very "exposed" on 2 sides if you will, so it seems floorin garound it will be obvious and not very good looking. Plus, lets face it, you need to move it every now and again to really clean the floor/room, seems this would be alot more difficults if the height it different.
So what is the norm? I am probably more concerned about water leakage than anything, it has happened before, and I wouldn't want it ruining the floor. I know it's reall ywaterproof on top, but how to prevernt it from getting udnerneath...

Old 11-04-05, 10:43 AM
the norm is to roll out your fridge & lay the laminate in the space. the weight won't be a problem, and you can't worry about leaks - if it happens, it happens. putting plywood under the fridge won't help cuz the water would still ruin everything around it - and the plywood would look hideous.

Old 11-04-05, 12:33 PM
R
Okay that is prety much what I thought.
So is ther ereally any way to waterproof under/around it? I figured I can run packaging tape along the laminate seems, but these are pretty water-tight anyway. I wonder more about the edges, where the expansion gap is. I plan to use some caulk here, Iknow there is "special stuff" for this w/ laminate - any otehr tricks?

Old 11-04-05, 12:43 PM
you can rub archery bowstring wax on the tongues before clicking them together & it's supposed to help seal the seams better against water (Go to the sporting goods section at any store that has archery equipment. Buy a stick or two of bowstring wax. ) but that's about it. don't bother with the packaging tape. a leak will run everywhere. and as long as you install it right, your seams will be really tight.

definitely put a bead of silicone in the expansion gap.

if you're that paranoid about your fridge leaking (do you have a dishwasher, too?! ), you should disconnect your icemaker! or you should've gone with one of the laminates made for wet areas.........or tile or sheet vinyl. laminate & wood is a risk in kitchens & baths & basements. but as long as water is wiped up right away, you won't have a problem.

Old 11-05-05, 09:53 AM
To rationalize it a bit, consider that if the fridge does leak, I imagine water will run into the room a bit and you will notice it before it becomes a problem. If it is a slow leak, it would probably only wreck a small part of your floor under the fridge.
Laminate I have put down states that it is water resistant to a degree so it can handle some moisture. YOu will likely catch a leak b4 it gets to be an issue. I have kept some pieces of laminate from any project I have done and stored them on site. These can be used for replacements.
Chances are the fridge won't leak anyway and you probably have insurance if it requires a floor replacement.
I do like the bow wax idea though. I'll try that next time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: