Laminate floor around door frame

Old 11-09-05, 02:22 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate floor around door frame

I have finally made it to my first door closet door in my hallway.

The closet is carpeted and I would like to keep it that way.

As for cutting the door jam for the laminate floor, do I cut the whole bottom of the frame and all, or just the vertical peice of "trim" in the center of the door frame?

If all I cut is the "trim", how do I maintain my 1/4" spacing?

Im tired. Am I making sense?

Thanks... Any help is appreciated

Chuck

Old 11-09-05, 05:08 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I am no expert but I have had experience with those door jambs...

If I understand you correctly... (you're talking about undercutting right?)
If you undercut along the frame/jamb (sorry, not too familiar w/correct terms) where any of the laminate will lay and you need your gap...undercut all the way through it so that the pad and laminate will lay right underneath it and still have the expansion gap required. So basically the laminate will lay right under what what you cut. You don't need to cut where the carpet lays (so I'm thinking not the whole frame/jamb).

Make sure when you close that closet door your carpet doesn't show through.

Hope this helps, but see what others have to say.

Old 11-09-05, 07:33 PM
N
Originally Posted by DIYADDICT
I am no expert but I have had experience with those door jambs...

If I understand you correctly... (you're talking about undercutting right?)
If you undercut along the frame/jamb (sorry, not too familiar w/correct terms) where any of the laminate will lay and you need your gap...undercut all the way through it so that the pad and laminate will lay right underneath it and still have the expansion gap required. So basically the laminate will lay right under what what you cut. You don't need to cut where the carpet lays (so I'm thinking not the whole frame/jamb).

Make sure when you close that closet door your carpet doesn't show through.

Hope this helps, but see what others have to say.

I think that we are on the same page.

I have undercut the frame/jam about half way into the closet. This will allow the laminate to "float" under the frame/jam.

Now I am finding that my hallway is isn't excatly square. Another problem that I have to deal with...

I have about 3/16 variance within about 10 inches. This is from the corner of the wall to the begining of a door frame. Now I have to figure that into my cut... Hopefully it's not like this all of the way down!

In a single plank, I have 1 1/2 doors and a corner to cut...

Old 11-09-05, 08:20 PM
I'm no pro either but as DIY said, the big thing is to undercut enough so that when the door is closed, people won't see your transition strip. I found I needed to go slightly more than half way because you want to maintain your gap. It kind of depends on which way your door swings in relation to the laminate, i.e. if you are laminating a bedroom and the door swings in, then I would not need to undercut the door stop because the carpet will be there. However, I just seem to need to cut further because I'm no pro with the undercut saw.
A suggestion might be to pre-position your transition strip under the closed door so you can easily gauge how far you need to cut.
I have squared things up slightly by kicking the floor with my runners on. (I have also kicked gaps closed in older laminate flooring that becomes seperated.) Kicking is tough on the toes but quick and easy. CDW probably won't like this
You still need to maintain your gap around the room so if you try this, you need to check the rest of the room. (assuming you havent' nailed on your baseboards),

Last edited by mjd2k; 11-10-05 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-10-05, 09:54 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
mjd2k:

u r crazy...w/the kicking thing. I honestly wanted to do the same thing but with all the cutting n stuff I didn't want to take the chance and then do it all over again if I screwed up the board...but hey!...if it works for you... I'm not a pro at the undercutting either...it seemed like every different door I did they used a different type of wood or something...some where easy and some where hard. Maybe I was just getting tired and my muscles needed a break

nasarchuck:

yeah, those darn hallways (and the rest of the house!)-nothing is square!..too bad huh? I actually started on my hallway this week and had to stop cuz I have 4 doors to work around and it was mind boggling. On the really touch corners and stuff I used a piece of paper to draw out what I needed to cut out b/c my first cuts where to big.

Hope you r having fun!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: