lightcrete and baseboard

Old 11-17-05, 05:05 PM
sambadancer
Visiting Guest
lightcrete and baseboard

I live in second floor condo. I am planning to install engineer wood floor (Mannington). I just checked with condo association. They said I can install it. I also checked with builder what kind of subfloor I have. He told me that it is lightcrete (not sure spelling).
1. Based on my understanding, I have only floating option if I want to install this wood floor. Am I right? However, my builder told me that I can glue down but I need to prime it first and use special adhesive. Do you know what kind of primer I need? Will it be compatible with Mannnington adhesive glue?
2. I am planning to install wood floor from living room to hall way to stair step. In case the floating is the only option for me. I wonder how I deal wtih step nosing since it needs to glue down (based on Mannington installation guide). Will I run into problem to glue it to lightcrete? In addition, Will it be OK to install some area with glue down (step nosing) and some area with floating (the rest of the area).
3 I read a couple of post. It sounds like the floating floor is very horrible. Is it that bad? It is kind of scare me and make me rethink if I should install wood floor.
4. I talked with installer, he told me that
4.1 I don;t need Mannington adhesive glue to install that step nosing. He told me that I can use concrete adhesive.
4.2 I don;t need to remove baseboard when I install woodfloor.
What do you think about his suggestion?

thanks a lot for your help.

Old 11-18-05, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.2: i think it looks better if you do remove the baseboard & then reinstall it. it looks more professional and like the wood flooring was original.

the other option is leaving the baseboard there and then adding base shoe moulding (similar to quarter round) in front of the baseboard. i think this way screams "remodel".

so that issue is just up to you & your personal preference.

Old 11-18-05, 10:22 AM
ksmeltzer
Visiting Guest
1. Based on my understanding, I have only floating option if I want to install this wood floor. Am I right? However, my builder told me that I can glue down but I need to prime it first and use special adhesive. Do you know what kind of primer I need? Will it be compatible with Mannington adhesive glue?

Sika Lightcrete Powder
http://www.sikaconstruction.com/tds-...ePowder-us.pdf

Sika Primer MB
http://www.sikaconstruction.com/tds-...rimerMB-us.pdf

2. I am planning to install wood floor from living room to hall way to stair step. In case the floating is the only option for me. I wonder how I deal with step nosing since it needs to glue down (based on Mannington installation guide). Will I run into problem to glue it to lightcrete? In addition, Will it be OK to install some area with glue down (step nosing) and some area with floating (the rest of the area).
The stairs must be glued down. You can float the rest, but the stairs must be glued.

3 I read a couple of post. It sounds like the floating floor is very horrible. Is it that bad? It is kind of scare me and make me rethink if I should install wood floor.
I hate them and I have installed plenty of them. Other people have no problem with them. But that Clack, Clack drives me crazy.

4. I talked with installer, he told me that

4.1 I donít need Mannington adhesive glue to install that step nosing. He told me that I can use concrete adhesive.
No you cannot use Concrete adhesive, it will void the warrantee you have to use a urethane adhesive like Bostikís, Sika or Franklin the only exception is if the manufacturer specifies otherwise. Mannington specifies that you have to use their brand glue or the moisture warrantee is void. Bostik, Sika, and Franklin stand behind their products and warrantee them but good luck getting a concrete adhesive manufacture to pay for the mis-use of their product.

http://www.mannington.com/residentia...l_gu1515aa.pdf

http://www.mannington.com/residentia...stallation.pdf

4.2 I donít need to remove baseboard when I install wood floor.
What do you think about his suggestion?
It looks like a DIY job. A professional job has the base removed and installed over the new floor.

Old 11-18-05, 01:24 PM
sambadancer
Visiting Guest
thanks for information. that is very helpful. Ksmeltzer: for step nosing, do need to prime lightcrete first before I glue it down? Do you know where I can find that primer? Homedepot?

Old 11-21-05, 03:01 PM
ksmeltzer
Visiting Guest
I donít think you are going to have any luck finding Sika primer at Home Depot you will probably have to find a flooring store that can get it or get it off of the internet. Are the stairs covered with lightcrete? They sub material of the stairs should most likely be built out of plywood or OSB. They may be covered with lightcrete but most contractors do not cover it. If it is not covered with the lightcrete then you should be fine and you will not require a primer as long as there are no moisture concerns regarding the stairs.

Old 11-30-05, 04:25 AM
sambadancer
Visiting Guest
Hi Ksmeltzer

Thanks very much for your help. I am not sure if my stair has lightweight concrete or not. I will check with builder on that issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: