Crack and heave in concrete basement pad...

Old 11-19-05, 07:51 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crack and heave in concrete basement pad...

I levelled 2/3 of my basement pad with self levelling compound. It went pretty well and I learned some things...I'm moving into the second room and remaining 1/3. I put laminate down in the first 2/3, but there is quite a profound crack and heave in the next 1/3. If I put straight edge on it, the heave is about 1" at it's peak. I just don't feel there is any way I can level this with levelling compound as I'll not be able to mate the two floors. Other than carpet, is there an option that the home owner can do. This heave is about 12' long and looks like I'd have to knock it down about 6" to either side of it for it's length. Is grinding possible, or should I cut my losses and put carpet in? That would be my last resort.

Thanks,

Tom

Old 11-19-05, 08:17 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The issue of the crack should have been addressed prior to installation. High spots on concrete are ground down and low spots filled with self-leveling compound. Cracks can be repaired and crack isolation membrane used. Laminate installation requires a smooth, flat surface. Moisture test of concrete is recommended.

Old 11-19-05, 08:20 PM
H
The crack was resultant of a poor inpad heating installation 15 years ago. The concrete was moisture tested and the installation of laminate is on a part of the floor where the crack doesn't exist. It's in another room. We're just trying to mate up the floors and level that floor so we can put laminate down and wondering if there is a way that the home owner can grind that heave.

Old 11-20-05, 07:19 AM
O
If that was me and that peak was so pronounced, I would consider putting down a bonding agent and mixing a portland cement and sand mix (adding 1/2 inch stone in deep areas and feather to the 1 inch rise). IMPORTANT! I would only do this provided this floor is done settling and there is no further moving from season to season. I personally would never put wall to wall carpet on a basement floor. I might consider it if there was proper drainage underneath the slab going into a proper sump pit with proper sump pump and a layer of poly laid down prior to pouring the slab. My choice would be ceramic tile. That being said, if you do level the floor and use laminate, make sure you have the vapor barrier(poly) laid first and leave your proper gap on borders. You can always compensate for different level floors at the threshold.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: