Filling holes and cracks in hardwood

Old 11-20-05, 01:58 PM
jleslie
Visiting Guest
Filling holes and cracks in hardwood

Hi
I have recently sanded older maple flooring in preparation of finishing with satin finish water borne urethane. There are some nail holes to fill along with a few gouges and a number of gaps between boards approximately 1/8th inch wide. I tried mixing reserved sawdust with white glue - what a mess - some areas stayed white, others are translucent but sunken and all require a great deal of sanding to restore previous state. I tried the other method sduggested to me of mixing the sawdust with the urethane - better but still sunken. Perhaps I didn't use enough sawdust as there are gaps in the fill in both cases. I had tried various consistencies of the glue mixture from peanut butter to plastic wood. The urethane mix was like a pancake batter.
Please advise.
Thanks
Joan

Old 11-21-05, 06:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timbermate and Woodwise both have trowelable wood filler.

If it is sinking, it may need two applications. Then sand accordingly.

Marco can probably give you a better idea of the sequence for filling a maple, in the winter.

Old 11-21-05, 10:14 PM
D
You will want to use a trowelable wood filler. HD should have one in store. Like Perry said, you may need to apply it a couple times. Bigger holes and cracks sink more than small ones.
Good Luck
Bryan

Old 11-22-05, 10:20 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Filling gaps between boards tends not to be recommended because wood expands and contracts. The filler gets pushed out and looks unsightly.

Old 11-22-05, 10:31 AM
Especially a maple in the winter, with the heat on!

Old 11-22-05, 10:32 PM
M
Originally Posted by twelvepole
Filling gaps between boards tends not to be recommended because wood expands and contracts. The filler gets pushed out and looks unsightly.
I've never understood that theory. So the filler (maybe!)gets pushed out, how does that look any worse than leaving the crack unfilled? And yes, it is recommended that cracks be filled. It is done everyday on thousands of floors twelvepole. How else do you think thefloor filler manufacturers stay in business?
This being an older floor, those 1/8" gaps are not from seasonal changes. Fill them.
What you really don't ant to do is use polyurethane as a filler base because it acts like a glue, preventing the wood from moving freely. This can lead to panelization. This sometimes a problem with waterbase, large sections of the floor move as one, leaving larger gaps.
If you are set on using your dust(fine edger dust only), mix it with a laquer or wood doe base. Very good filler. A near equal is Timbermate and much friendlier to use. It won't blow up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: