Best way to transition rooms

Old 11-22-05, 06:45 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to transition rooms

I'm thinking about installing laminate flooring in my ranch style house. The house has a fairly open floor plan and the bedrooms are off of a T shaped hallway (one bedroom at each end of top of the T and one on the left hand side of the long part of the T) - I hope that makes sense...

The question is, do I need to install a transition strip on each doorway? I know that I need to do this if different flooring is being used - laminate & carpet. My boyfriend seems to believe that there is no need if we only use laminate but I thought it would give it a more 'finished' look.

What are the biggest 'watchouts' for this type of floor plan?

Thanks!

Old 11-22-05, 10:32 AM
D
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a few previous posts I've found if it helps any:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=51994
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=241278

I'm assuming you are planning on installing laminate in the bedroom(s) and leave the carpeting in the hallway?

Old 11-22-05, 10:59 AM
R
Actually, I'm looking to get rid of all the carpeting and replace it with the laminate.

Old 11-22-05, 11:57 AM
D
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, sorry...so laminate in bedrooms and hallway right?

Each manufacturer has their specifics for the warranty. IMO, it's looks better w/out the transition strip. The transition strip is not for looks but for the expansion needed/required.

First, understand why you need the transition strips and where they need to be placed. If you need a transition strip at the end of the bdrm leading to the hallway make sure when you close the door it lays right underneath it so you don't see it. Make sure you undercut the door frames so the laminate and transition piece floats right underneath it. The toughest part it getting the laminate around those door frames and making precise cuts. I spent about an hour on my first door just staring at it and wondering how I was going to make my cut. I was off on my first try but finally got it on my 2nd try.

Make sure you get a tapping block or crowbar if they come with your purchase of laminate as those things will make your installation a lot easier! It was for me at least. I couldn't have done w/out 'em.

I hope this better answers your question...but the real pros probably have something better for you.

Old 11-27-05, 11:13 AM
R
Any more feedback on this subject?

Old 11-29-05, 06:09 AM
I am no expert but it depends on the situation.

There are certain limits as to how long of a run of laminate flooring you can have. I think its 30-40 feet depending on the manufacturer. But if you have a bedroom a hallway and then another bedroom chances are that long section is over the limit and you have to put in some sort of transition molding, usually T molding. Check the lengths of these and the manufacturers info.

I do not know about the install aspect of it. You are supposed to start from one wall and work towards the other. If you try to make a hallway and two rooms all on the same install, I think you run into problems. Suddenly you have to install in two directions and I do not think that is the way to go, if you are following my logic. Plus I think it would make for a much harder install without the molding.

I would suggest using the T-molding at each doorway, think it would be easier and smarter overall. Not using transitions from room to room would most likely void the warranty.

Old 11-29-05, 09:34 PM
R
Thanks

I finally convinced SO that using T-moulding is the way to go. I was able to download detailed installation instructions from the manufactures....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: