Engineered Wood Floors

Old 11-23-05, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engineered Wood Floors

I am considering placing a engineered wood floor on a concrete slab below grade. I have installed laminate floor before with a friend, and I am wondering if the engineered wood floor is as easy to install.
I like the real wood look, and laminate, while looking great, is not what I want to use.
Can engineered wood flooring be installed as a floating floor, or must it be glued?
What are things I should look for in a engineered wood floor, that might indicate its durability, and quality.

Old 11-23-05, 12:17 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will need to shop for an engineered wood flooring product that can be floated. Different products have different installation requirements. Some require glue, nails, or staples. Shop for a product manufactured by a major manufacturer that offers good, better, best levels of quality, warranty, and price.

Engineered wood floors have a veneer layer of real wood over substrate layers of lesser quality wood. The thicker the veneer layer, the better. The more substrate layers (plies), the better. Some products have veneer layers so thin that they can not be refinished. Better products can be sanded and refinished 2-3 times or more.

Most problems with laminate floors on concrete tend to be a result of moisture issues, failure to use vapor retarder beneath floating floor, failure to follow instructions for subfloor prep, acclimation, and installation. As with any wood floor, proper care and maintenance of finish is crucial to longevity of finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: