Cracks in newly installed wood floors..

Old 11-28-05, 01:16 PM
halfceo
Visiting Guest
Cracks in newly installed wood floors..

Might be a dumb question but here it goes:

I had put in wood floors in my living room. Everything looked great and then, as soon as its started to get cold (about 3 months after I finished), I started finding tiny (millimeter size) cracks between boards. Not between everyone of them, but overall, like 4 cracks. Some people told me it was normal but it does not seem normal to me. I have never had floors before, so my questions are:

1. Are these "cracks" between boards normal during temp changes or season changes?
2. Will they disappear towards summer when their is more moisture in the air?
3. Should I leave them, or put wood filler to hide them? or will this cause more problems when summer time arrives.

Thanks in advance.....

Old 11-28-05, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. yes
2. yes
3. leave them alone - wood filler will pop out & look worse when summer comes & the planks expand again.

Old 11-28-05, 05:04 PM
D
How long did the wood acclimate before installation?

Old 11-28-05, 06:22 PM
M
Originally Posted by Annette
3. leave them alone - wood filler will pop out & look worse when summer comes & the planks expand again.
That answer has always intrigued me. How much "worse" could it look? Is it the possibility that the filler will break loose and make the floor dirty worse than cracks?

In any event, the cracks you describe are normal in the heating season. Don't worry about them.

Old 12-06-05, 08:30 AM
halfceo
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Daniel Wachtel
How long did the wood acclimate before installation?
about 10 days or so... This was during the summer...

What is a good period of time? When I was buying the wood, at the warehouse, I was told 1 week to 4 weeks (4 weeks sounded like a real stretch!)... Should I have held them a bit longer?

Old 12-06-05, 09:25 AM
M
Nobody can answer that question without moisture meter readings. For strip flooring, your subfloor should be within 4% moisture content of your flooring.

Old 12-06-05, 09:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
Marco,

Another possibility when using filler to fill the cracks is that when the boards expand in the summer, if they can't pop the filler out, then what's going to move? Something is going to, and it could be the board itself, causing cupping or crowned boards, cracks, and loose boards.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: