Stair covering

Old 11-30-05, 04:18 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stair covering

Hi,

I've enclosed stairs in my condo. There is currently old carpet on there but I want to remove that. Underneath the carpet the stair is made of plywood, that looks like the subfloor upstair.

I want to put wood threads overlays over the plywood. But I dont know what kind of wood I need to use ?

Also should I finish the riser ? I'd like them finished like the surrounding walls (White paint). Should I put drywall over the plywood riser ?

Also I have two square landings (one in the middle, one at the top) about 40x40 inches that I would to be finished the same way as the stairs. Is it possible to have landing like this in one piece ?

Thanks

Old 11-30-05, 06:11 AM
You need stair treads, of the species of wood you choose. You could do it with stair noses and wood flooring strip or plank.

For the risers, a 1x8 or 1x6 depending on riser hieght. Or finish grade plywood. Don't use sheet rock. You want it thick enough to cover the small gap at the back of the tread, as you work your way from the bottom to the top.

Old 12-02-05, 03:30 PM
D
What kind of wood is good for stair tread and where can I find them ?

What it a "mittered stair tread" vs a "plain stair tread" ?

I went to the Home Depot and Lowes stores near me.
The only stairs tread at the Home Depot where some MDF board with a bullnose. I'm not eveb sure they were intented for stairs or only for shelves.
At Lowes I found unfinished "Plain stair treads" (marked as such) in Oak ($30 in 48"), Poplar($15) and MDF(between $5 and $10).
They also had "Mitered stair treads" but they were out so I dont know what they should look like.

Most importantly I'm wondering how to do the intermediate landing. I saw on your picture that you were doing hardwoord strips flooring, but If I'm using plain stair tread in one piece, what are my options for the landing ?

Thanks

Old 12-02-05, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by droopycom

Most importantly I'm wondering how to do the intermediate landing. I saw on your picture that you were doing hardwoord strips flooring, but If I'm using plain stair tread in one piece, what are my options for the landing ?

Thanks

All landings I have seen or done, had a stair nosing and flooring.

The only reason that landing has the flooring going that way and butted into the nosing, was because of what was under the flooring.

Your going to need a stair nose too, when you get to the top of the staircase. Like this...

Old 12-02-05, 11:13 PM
D
Okay, so basically I just need to decide what kind of flooring I want to put on my landings...

Thanks for all the details, your stairs look very nice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: