Making the subfloor flat for laminate - roofing felt? Shingles?

Old 11-30-05, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making the subfloor flat for laminate - roofing felt? Shingles?

Been reading a lot of old posts on here and want to make sure I have things right before I start, which I probably do not.

Anyway, I ripped up about 1/3 of the carpeting last night and the plywood subfloor (3/4) definitely has some dips and high spots. I Have some work to do. The high spots can be sanded down.

From what I have gotten out of some older posts is, to use roofing felt and/or shingles to raise the low spots. Now these posts seemed to be more towards hardwood installs. Does this method work for laminate?

The felt and shingles would be fastened or held down by the actual nail in install on wood, but this would not happen for laminate. So would this method not be viable at all? Would some other fastening technique need to be done or would the flooring itself hold it in place?

Old 11-30-05, 09:47 PM
workingonmyhome
Visiting Guest
Working ok for me

We installed abotu 1500 sq feet of engineered hardwood. In one area I had to use floor leveling compund as the florr receded about 6 feet to a corner. In 2 other areas, there were dips in the floor - concrete base - and I used shingles with liquid nails to level it out. It worked well and so far so good. It has been about 2 years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: