Refinish hardwood one room at a time or all at once?

Old 12-01-05, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refinish hardwood one room at a time or all at once?

My entire house is carpeted and over the next few years I would like remove the carpet and refinish the floors. Each room in my house requires remodelling (wood panelling everywhere) so I was planning on reno'ing one room at a time, including the floors. Will doing the floors one room at a time result in an uneven finish? I'm wondering if I should just wait to do the floors until all the rooms have been completed and I can do the floors all at once.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-05, 12:50 PM
My personal preference would be to get all the remodeling done and save the refinishing to last. Then, paint splatters, dings, dents and scratches can all be sanded away and you will achieve an even finish.

Old 12-02-05, 09:24 AM
I'd finish the floors at the end too. It would be much easier to move out of your house for a few days and get it done once instead of putting up with the fumes a room at a time. Plus you should save money since whoever applies the 3 coats of poly will need to go to your home for one round of application only instead of many trips (unless you were doing that yourself).

Old 12-02-05, 11:58 AM
I will be doing the floors myself. I suspected it would be best to do it all at once at the end, but wasn't looking forward to moving everything from the 2nd floor to the 1st, for what will probably end up being more than a weekend project.

Thanks.

Old 12-02-05, 04:51 PM
Unless you do it all at once, expect to see your finish stop marks.