Wood concerns for home appreciation?

Old 12-01-05, 12:43 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wood concerns for home appreciation?

Is it true that hardwood floors will appreciate the house? the house was bought for $350K, plan to stay there for 3-5 years. I read that for house less than 100K, there is no need for hardwood floors, but for houses over $200k, there is money to be made....I also read that pergo floors will not add anything to the resale of the home...
What does it have to do with wood? well, i have two options,
install pergo floors on top of the homesoid (reduce noise looks like sheetrock) or take it out and install hardwood floors in top of the 1/2"plywood..Of course the latter, is the most expensive and exhausting of the two...what to do?

Old 12-01-05, 01:49 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard surface floor coverings are in demand. More and more people are pulling out carpet and refinishing wood floors that have been hidden beneath or installing new wood. Solid hardwood can last 200 years or more with the proper care and maintenance. There is nothing like the beauty of real wood.

As you indicate concerns about expense and exhaustion, perhaps floating an engineered wood floor would ease the budget, time constraints, and physical demands of the installation.

Old 12-01-05, 02:06 PM
P
Originally Posted by twelvepole
Hard surface floor coverings are in demand. More and more people are pulling out carpet and refinishing wood floors that have been hidden beneath or installing new wood. Solid hardwood can last 200 years or more with the proper care and maintenance. There is nothing like the beauty of real wood.

As you indicate concerns about expense and exhaustion, perhaps floating an engineered wood floor would ease the budget, time constraints, and physical demands of the installation.
what about this homesoid or whatever is spelled....i will need to take it out completely before i lay the hardwood floor? How come pergo floors are okay on top?

Old 12-02-05, 12:22 PM
ksmeltzer
Visiting Guest
You can float engineered wood over it. With a 6 mill poly barrier. Or you can rip it out and install a solid.

Wood floors do increase the value of the house because the increase the sale-ability of a house and as the old saying goes time is money. Less time on the market means more money in your pocket. With a smaller house this does not translate into a great amount of actual increase in dollar value but you will most certainly recoup you investment. On a larger house you can almost double the price of the install to the houses value. Now the trick is that not all floors are the same and some donít net you as much as others. First off, installation method and quality of materials plays a big role. As we know laminate does not increase the value and you will be lucky to recoup the cost of the materials. A cheap engineered wood can be just as bad. Floating a floor is a negative in the value department because it makes them harder to refinish as well as prone to breaking apart at the seams. As well the noise can be heard as soon as someone steps on the floor. Itís the sound of cheap and a good realtor will catch it and notify their client of it. So if you are going to float a floor you better off going with a cheap engineered and scrap the idea of adding much in terms of value. A quality engineered with a sizable wear layer, glued down will add as much value as a solid hardwood, as once it is down it is pretty much indistinguishable. Finally an on site finish and any custom border work will increase the value of the floor.

Old 12-02-05, 05:17 PM
Ya hardwood floors will increase your home.. but lets say you spend $15k to get wood floors installed throughout and your home is worth 300k.. I dont think your home is now worth 350k..probably not even 315k.

This is like my friend that brought a prefab countertop from home depot for 200 bucks for his bathroom vanity and he thinks he increased the home by a lot.. not really.. anyone can buy a 300k home and add hardwood floors for another 15k... best to buy it barebone and customize it to your liking then to buy an expensive home that someone else did

Old 12-02-05, 05:44 PM
With hardwood, whether solid or engineered, your going to increase the value of the home, by twice what the wood will cost you, depending if you live in a desirable area/region of your state.
If you live where no one wants to buy, then no matter what you do, your value will be stagnent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: