Angle grinder - how to cut the hearth

Old 12-04-05, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angle grinder - how to cut the hearth

OK, I got my hands on an angle grinder and a 4" diamond dry saw blade for cutting granite/stone.

I am not sure if the tool I got will do the job right.

It is a used bosch angle grinder. The guard has been removed which I am a little wary about. But my main concern is how to cut level to the floor.

The bolt/spindle where you attach the blade extends out a 1/2". So I cannot get the blade level with the floor without angling it. Is this normal? Also do these tools normally have a guide or depth guage/guide. From the pictures I have seen of these tools it does not look like it. Are there any tricks as to how I should be doing all of this. Not quite sure if I angle the blade and start cutting how well it will work or if I can even hold it steady or if it will jump away from me. I cannot see making a nice clean cut under the heart if I have to angle the tool that much.

If a newer/better tool is out there that has a depth guide and guard is all I need I will try to get my hands on one. If they are all the same and it is pretty much holding the tool steady and gauging with eye so be it.

I would like to do the job right and most importantly not hurt myself, so if the tool I got does not cut it please let me know.

Old 12-04-05, 12:57 PM
Take a piece of flooring and lay it on the floor, next to the hearth where you want to start cutting from left to right.
Lay the blade flat on the flooring and use the flooring pushed against the bolt puck, to help push the blade along.

Wear gloves. A diamond blade will burn you but you have to really do something to cut your finger off with it. You can touch it while it spins and it won't cut you. Just don't bear down on yourself.

Old 12-04-05, 01:34 PM
J
John, please don't try that without a guard on.

There are saws made specifically for doing this. Try and locate an undercut jamb saw with a diamond blade, i don't think a masonry blade will work on granite. These saws have precise height and depth adjustments, and some have a dust port you can hook up to a shop vac.

Crain makes a model 812 and an 820. I got both of them and both work real good for this. Even if you have to buy one they bring good money on eBay.

Old 12-05-05, 06:21 AM
Hey guys,
well after posting this I went to the hardware store to look at some complete models in person. Seems as though the gaurd also doubles as the guide. It will keep the grinder level while you work.

So I ended up buying a decent model, a makita that as a kit came with a diamond blade, will return the unused diamond blade that I bought and only spend 40 dollars more then the original blade I purchased. Store only had top end blades it was about 40 something for just the one blade.

Where I am cutting I am actually going through two different materials, stone of the hearth itself and cement where it was affixed to the subfloor. Cuts through the cement a little better, but works well on both. I took my time and went slow. Little wary at first but nothing scary and is not hard. It makes a huge mess and only did one side so far. I was using a cardboard box and a normal vac to try and suck up the dust but the vac was not enough. Can see the residue in the air. Will borrow a shop vac from a friend. Also noisier than I anticipated, ear plugs are a good idea.

I am borrowing most tools from friends for this job, have to get the table saw so I can cut a small piece to test the fit. Have to buy a 60 tooth blade for cutting the laminate (remember that from another post)

Thanks all for your help

Old 12-06-05, 03:31 AM
J
I use to drape a big ol piece of plastic over top of me when I cut hearths.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: