Floor Levelling for 1X12 planks

Old 12-11-05, 04:49 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Floor Levelling for 1X12 planks

Hi,
The levelling questions in another post have me thinking about a job coming up. It consists of ripping up a wall to wall carpet and installing 1X12 pine over the particle board underlayment with ringshank nails. The customer doesn't want felt paper put down first- says he's done other rooms in the house this way and no problems. My questions are these: 1. What variation from level will work before the floor runs into problems- in other words, how much levelling do we have to do to be safe here? 2. Why use the felt underlayment? To keep the floor from squeeking? Is there any other reason? 3. Can I use cedar shakes and multi layers of felt paper directly under the planks and over the underlayment if levelling is needed? Thx, CT

Old 12-12-05, 06:05 AM
You say job and customer... Are you getting paid for this? Are you going to be held liable if there are any problems on this job?

Can you afford to buy new wood and the labor to take up your work and do it over?

I would get a liability waiver signed, with the specifications your client wants to take shortcuts around or have you yet to educated your client, about installing wood over particle board, and what the felt really does?

Your fixing to be in way over your head and cut your own throat, on this one!! You need to go to www.NOFMA.org and do a little reading to educate yourself about the standards for installing wood flooring and what it can be installed over.
Can you afford to hire a real professional, to replace it??

Do you own a moisture meter? If you did, would you know what your looking for when using it?

Old 12-18-05, 02:52 PM
G
Moisture Meters, etc.

Hi again. Thanks for the response. Sorry for the mixing of terms: the material under the carpet in this job is OSB. I have read some of the articles on the NOFMA website and don't see much about using white pine planks as a flooring material. I spoke to a carpenter who has put in many floors and recently a white pine plank floor (no board less than 14 inches) who scoffed at the idea of using a moisture meter. He installed this floor in January after leaving the boards stickered in the heated home for a month. He fastened them with face nailing and Liquid Nails. This is in Vermont, with a heavy duty heating season. The floor has never given a problem. In your opinion, is he just lucky? Must I invest in a moisture meter to do this job right? If so, what brand and model do you suggest? Thanks, CT

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: