Squishy Hardwood??

Old 12-13-05, 04:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Squishy Hardwood??

Hello. I just bought a century home in Northern Ontario. I also purchased a floor sander from a yard sale.. you know this big enourmous ones that do hardwood.. Well I ripped all the flooring out of the house, carpet ((and the newpaper that they put under the carpet for padding HAHA)) lenolium, everything down to the wood. the floor is gorgeous... the only thing is, is that's it's "squishy". what I mean by this is that even my thumb will put a nick in it. It's almost tender. I want to refinish it but don't want to waste my money if it's not the right kind of wood. Is there such thing as harwood floors that are never meant to be used as such? Or do they harden with the aplication of shiny coats and gloses? Obviously I don't know what on earth I am talkinga bout but I was hoping someone would know. Please advise asap as I am excited to get started. Thanks

Old 12-13-05, 04:58 PM
JUSTGETTNBY
Visiting Guest
Squishy? Is the floor dry rotted or did insects get to them? Possibly the floor is just old or possibly a soft pine. I would suggest trying a spot with a sealer and a topcoat and see if it makes a difference. If the wood is really soft, the margin for error is greater by a DIYer. If you want to tackle the project and the sealer and topcaot makes a difference, I would suggest 1 coat of sealer and 2-3 topcoats to protect it.

Old 12-13-05, 05:44 PM
Without seeing it I'd never be able to tell you what you have.

It may be subfloor and never meant to be finished wood.

Old 12-13-05, 06:51 PM
I am not sure if it's subfloor or not. It looks really nice when it's wet after being washed and it's not all dented.. I don't think it's bugs either.. I can make a fingernail mark in it if I push hard enough. It would really loot nice if it was finished. i just wish I knew what I was working with. The internet is my only resource as the closest town is about 2hours away my resources are pretty limited

Old 12-14-05, 04:05 AM
J
We need some clear pictures loreyna. You don't want us guessing do ya .

Old 12-14-05, 06:11 AM
E
Originally Posted by loreyna
I can make a fingernail mark in it if I push hard enough.
Push hard with your fingernail??

I wouldn't call this squishy...this is normal. "Hardwood" is not really all that hard. Hardwood does dent.

When it is wet, is very light in colour? You may have pine, or maybe brich.
Is there a lot of grain in the wood?

Old 12-14-05, 11:07 AM
I am sorry lol.. I am not good at the wood guessing game either and I can see the stuff. It's dark.. not allot of notches... not allot of much.. just looks nice when wet. My father was over and he said it is softwood of somekind and not to waste my time refinishing it.. ((he is a pessemist)) anyway.. I am going to the library to day to determine what kind of wood it is.. i will do my best.

Old 12-15-05, 04:27 AM
E
Who needs the library when you have the internet...

You can just go here:

http://www.hardwood.org/species_guid...ay_species.asp

Old 12-15-05, 08:23 AM
WOW.. what an awesome resource!!! Though I still can't tell what kind of wood it is. They all look nice and I am sure I have one of them which means my floors will look nice lol. I think I will get an expert in here.. this is a guessing game that is not worth the consequences.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: