refinishing oak flooring

Old 12-21-05, 03:37 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question refinishing oak flooring

Hello.

After refinishing all of the bedrooms, I am ready for the living/dining area and the hallway. The hallway is an extension of the dining area and then runs perpendicular. In this area the planks run from wall to wall, about 3,5' wide. A drumsander cannot be used since the hallway is not wide enough if I want to sand following the grain of the wood. Does anyone have any ideas on how to sand this area?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

thx, Gwendolyn

Old 12-21-05, 07:40 PM
M
A floor mechanic would use an edger. That piece of equipment does take some training to use correctly tho. You might get results with one of the big oscillating sanders rented at the box stores.

Old 12-22-05, 07:57 AM
G
Thanks for responding. I was thinking of an edge sander myself, however I am not looking forward to using that machine for a stretch of about 7' long and 3/5' wide... The oscilating sander is that not normally called a jitter bug? I have seen some posts mentioning that it sands uneven?

Old 12-22-05, 11:29 AM
M
I cant say how it sands, Ive never used one. The edger is not so bad, you could rough off and fine edge that area in about 1/2 hour. Trick is getting it flat without too many swirls.

Old 12-23-05, 07:50 AM
G
I'll give it a try.

thx, Gwendolyn

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: