Refinishing PAINTED pine floors

Old 01-01-06, 10:23 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refinishing PAINTED pine floors

I recently bought a beautiful Victorian as an investment and some MORON painted the upper floors a hideous fecal brown. I planned on sanding/refinishing and have been told that the floors are pine and too soft to use a commercial sander. These are not wide planks, they are 2" slats.

Any advise on how to refinish them for resale??? I hate to carpet the 8 rooms, not only due to cost but I'd love to salvage the integrity of this old lady.

Old 01-04-06, 08:12 AM
you can try renting a buff sander, not a drum sander.
I'ts a big pad that's used for light sanding between coats of poly.
And believe me, it takes some time to get any hardwood sanded down!

I think you'll still have issues with the paint on the side of some of the boards,
but it'd be worth a shot.

Old 02-09-06, 07:20 PM
T
[QUOTE=Tami Myers]I recently bought a beautiful Victorian as an investment and some MORON painted the upper floors a hideous fecal brown. I planned on sanding/refinishing and have been told that the floors are pine and too soft to use a commercial sander. These are not wide planks, they are 2" slats.

I had old growth pine floors refinished in the upstairs of my home. They are probably 3" wide. I had it done professionally and the results were outstanding! They DID charge a little more per square foot than if the floors had been oak, because they said pine is a little more "gummy" so it takes a bit more labor. But don't let anyone tell you pine can't be refinished, it can!
Here's the proof:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...sJuly17001.jpg

Last edited by treewoman; 02-12-06 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-12-06, 07:36 PM
T
Tami, just to let you know I just added a picture of my finished pine floors to my last post, so you can see that it CAN be done!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: