staining hardwood floors a dark color

Old 01-02-06, 03:21 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
staining hardwood floors a dark color

I have refinished my hardwood floors and found that the dark spots on the floor did not come out when we tried the bleach technique & the floor looks horrible. I really like the chocolate brown floors I see everywhere & would like to stain my floors that color. So I sanded a small spot on the floor & bought some MinWax stain in color Jacobean. That is the darkest color you can get before Ebony. I spent about 2 hours. Applied 6 coats. I put it on thicker & did not wipe between coats. But for the last coat, I wiped & removed everything I just put on. Now that spot only looks like the black pet stains that are on the floor. How do I get the deep dark chocolate color that is shown on the samples? One person told me to not wipe it off but my husband swears you have to wipe it.

Old 01-03-06, 10:07 AM
It may be the species of wood. Some close cell species don't take stain very well.(Maple, Pine)

It may be your sanding with too fine of sand paper, making surface tension. 80 or 100 grit and stain. You may try water popping the grain and then staining.

Old 01-03-06, 10:57 AM
K
I got to looking at it again. I do believe that I didn't have the spot sanded well enough. I'm going to redo them again. That's my only choice. I'm not happy with the results already the way they are.
What is water popping? I read that in someone elses reply & they suggested it to get the dark rich color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: