Do you stagger joints when installing laminate flooring?

Old 01-04-06, 11:24 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you stagger joints when installing laminate flooring?

I have the Uniboard Lock'n Seal laminate & it does not mention on the pkg instruction to stagger the joints. I know it's customary to stagger joints. What should I do?

Old 01-04-06, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not the expert on this subject , however, most instructions I have seen for any wood flooring states that joints should be staggered approximately 20". If for nothing else, looks. Watch this post for the expert answers. Good luck on your project.

Old 01-04-06, 03:24 PM
J
I usually cut them into thirds, with nothing under 12" in length.

You need to dry lay 3 rows to see if the starting and end pieces will be at least 12" long.

1st row - full piece, 2nd row - 1/3 length, 3rd row - 2/3 length.

What you try to do is use the cut ends to start the next row, but it depends, sometimes you have to cut that piece again. But the better stagger you get going, the more waste you are gonna have. That is why I add for waste.

Old 01-04-06, 05:52 PM
R
I ended up staggering the joints.

I appreciate your input.

Old 01-04-06, 06:01 PM
Every Laminate seems to be a little different on these specs. Since your floor didn't mention spacing, here is the golden rule. No end joints closer together then the width of the plank. Some spec 6 inches, some spec 8" and some spec 10 "

Some also say not to use a plank less then so many inches long on the ends. I just glue them together if they are small cuts.

Old 09-18-06, 01:05 PM
S
I've seen some floors where they have actually lined up the joints on alternating rows. (i.e., joints in rows 1,3,5,etc line up)Seems like a lot more cutting and more waste.

Any opinions on whether that is more visually pleasing than random joints (but still following rules about distance)?

Old 09-18-06, 02:40 PM
i'd go random. also, notice the pattern on the planks. if you pay attention, you'll notice the same "pictures" reappearing. try to mix those up, too.

Old 09-19-06, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by smalc
I've seen some floors where they have actually lined up the joints on alternating rows. (i.e., joints in rows 1,3,5,etc line up)Seems like a lot more cutting and more waste.

Any opinions on whether that is more visually pleasing than random joints (but still following rules about distance)?

I have been requested to do that with a bamboo floor in a small store in the mall. I didn't get the bid, because I would only do it by the book and not rush it in, like they wanted. It looks like cr..ola. I guess they wanted it go with there name?? It had gaps all right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: