Color of hardwood floor

Old 01-10-06, 02:04 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Color of hardwood floor

OK, I'm looking for some opinions. I have red oak hardwood floors in my dining room and carpet in my family room. Inbetween is my kitchen which currently has tile. I plan to take up the tile and install hardwood floors in the kitchen. I love the look and warmth of them. My question is what type/color should I do.

The kitchen has medium oak cabinets so I wanted to do light or dark for the floor to offset them. Plus I don't want to try to match the red oak in my dining room. I've heard you should have a floor darker than your kitchen cabinets because your eyes will be drawn to a light floor instead of the cabinets. I am also a bit concerned about the two different types of hardwood running into each other.

Anybody have any experience with this or thoughts?? Thanks!

Old 01-10-06, 02:43 PM
teelbee
Visiting Guest
You might try to get an idea about your choices from the Design a Room website. It's kind of fun and might give you a reasonable preview of the look you want. That's how I narrowed down my selections when I was trying to pick a color.

Armstrong's Design A Room

Old 01-19-06, 02:48 PM
Vinces
Visiting Guest
I am not sure I agree that your floor should necessarily be darker than your cabinets but I do think they should contrast. (Dark cabinets ..then light wood floor. Light Cabinets then dark wood floors) The contrast is what makes it pop

Old 01-19-06, 03:29 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You could always buy a sample of the colors you like, take it home and see what works. The lighting could make a difference too...

Old 01-20-06, 08:54 AM
C
I have med oak cabinets with a clear natural oak floor. I think a dark floor would show more dings and harder to keep looking clean.

Old 01-20-06, 10:38 AM
my 2

i wouldn't do it unless you could match the dining room floor almost exactly so they flow together.

2 different wood floors next to each other is just bad imo. it's like black with navy - close, but no cigar. it reminds me of when the style was to have a different colored carpet in every room of the house. it's too choppy & mismatched. a different wood will look like an obvious afterthought & that it was put in later. i like flow or deliberate contrast, like the tile you currently have, although i'd prefer the wood to the tile, since you've carpet on the other side. the fewer flooring material changes in a home, the better, imo.

Old 01-24-06, 08:48 AM
Ronnieja
Visiting Guest
Same Flooring Match Issue

Hello -

I have the same type issue. Bought my house about 3 mos ago. Hardwoods (Gunstock) in the foyer and half-bath. Entry (36" wide) from the foyer into the kitchen area. Old vinyl in kitchen now, but want to change. Kitchen/eat-in area is between the carpeted family room and dinnig room.

Issue is the doorway where the kitchen and foyer connect.

Annette - from your previous response you are not crazy about floors that connect that don't match.

My options are:
1. Hardwoods - try to find something that works well with the cabinets in the kitchen (ripping up the foyer floor is not an option for me)
2. Ceramic Tile - looks great, never lived with it before, not sure if I will like it long term
3. High quality vinyl - pick something that looks good and maybe looks like tile (does not add any extra resale value)

What are the general thoughts, what has anyone else done with the same issue?

FYI - my house is built on a slab foundation.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-24-06, 12:12 PM
i'd go with tile or vinyl in the kitchen.

Old 01-24-06, 12:32 PM
Ronnieja
Visiting Guest
Thanks Annette for the response. This whole experience has been more difficult than I expected - LOL.

Old 02-06-06, 04:54 PM
doozie
Visiting Guest
Hammylinky, I have what sounds like a very similar setup to yours, right down to the cabinet colors. 2 1/4" oak hardwood in dining room, carpet in family room, and vinyl in kitchen which we replaced with hardwood. Also, medium oak cabinets, kind of a honey color. We looked at many, many samples of wood and took a long time deciding, and we're very happy with the final purchase. We went with Lauzon 3 1/4" natural red birch. It's similar enough to the other woods to complement it, but different enough to contrast and not look like we were trying to match but failed. What really sold me is that the grain was different from the oak so they seem to set each other off well. I know many people don't like different wood floors next to each other, but to be honest, it doesn't bother us at all - I think it looks fine. The tone/color of the 2 wood floors is very similar, but the plank size and grain are different. I think the advice to view a lot of samples is good advice, and if the samples you get aren't big enough, ask if they can order a bigger piece, or if you can have several pieces. I would make sure to live with it, move it around on your floor, see it under all different lighting conditions.

Old 02-17-06, 11:48 AM
Ronnieja
Visiting Guest
Contrasting the Hardwoods

That is an interesting thought. I actually kind of like that idea, if it will work. I am planning to put in granite countertops, but don't want to schedule it until I figure out this floor issue.

I asked for a quote on vinyl and the quote was $1300 installed. I thought that was crazy. The quote I had for hardwoods was only a few hundred more than that.

The labor quote for 264sq ft was $1900. That seems awfully high, and that was with me providing the tile and grout.

Bottom line: My first preference is wood with tile second is tile. My cabinets are honey oak and the floor in the foyer is gunstock (medium oak color). If I go with wood, should it be a darker wood with a different grain? It is so hard to visualize, which makes it frustrating.

Old 02-17-06, 03:03 PM
Ronnieja
Visiting Guest
I just had a different idea. What if I look at doing cork in the kitchen. It would be totally different. How do you all think that would look?

Thanks

Old 02-18-06, 02:44 AM
J
Cork is getting to be very popular in some areas of the country. I think that might be a good option. Read up on it first.

Old 02-18-06, 07:43 AM
Here is some contact bond cork tiles, laid in a brick stack pattern I did about a year and a half ago.

Old 02-18-06, 03:04 PM
H
Well, after some additional thoughts I believe we are going to go with a 3" light maple. Like Doozie said I think the different grains between the oak and maple, as well as the color differential, make the whole thing work.

And I think the lighter color will hide minor scratches better. I realize it will more dirty quicker but it will be huge improvement over my horrible WHITE tile I have now! Now I get to rip up approximately 300 sq ft of tile.....oh joy.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: