Kitchen and Family Room Hardwood Flooring

Old 01-11-06, 05:31 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen and Family Room Hardwood Flooring

New to the board. I am looking for any input or opinions on the following:

Kitchen and front hall have existing oak hardwood flooring (approx. 7 years old). I am now redoing my family room just off the kitchen. I would like to install hardwood in family room but am concern with the two different shades of stain (or types of wood). Small threshold separating the two rooms with two different shades?? Marble or stone threshold to try to get separation bewteen the two rooms? Has anyone done this before and if so how does it look? One contractor said don't even try to match the existing as it would be nearly impossible. Just go with whatever shade I want and it will look fine. Another contractor said to try and stain match. Install unfinished and try to get it close. I have an issue with the second opinion due to fade and wear on the existing floor. The opening between the kitchen and family room is approx. 11'. In addition, existing flooring is 2 1/4" wide. Would I need to stay same as width or could I go to 5 1/4"?

Any input, comments, suggestions are appreciated as obviously I don't want to spent $$$$ on 300 sq ft of flooring only to find I am not happy with the result.

Thanx in advance for your suggestions.

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-06, 08:52 AM
R
I am currently doing something very similar: about 300 sq/ft... new room with big opening (17 feet) that will have new floor and existing floor side by side.

I havent put the floor down yet - I have it sitting in my room and wont for another few days - or maybe week or so. My personalopinion is that ttthe first contractor is right - dont even try to match. In fact disregard it completey. Even though they are next to each other, they are two different rooms, and it will be divided visually by a header or wlls most likely. I say go with whatevr you like and dont worry about matching. If you try to stain and match, youll spend more money, more time and may not get a match anyway.

I went with red oak - pre-stained with an oil based poly. Thats also what my current floor is... a re oak that I stained with an oil based poly five years ago. So they look somehwat similar but no doubt they are not seemeless. Not sjut the coloring but also the quality of the sanding/finish will be different.

Old 01-12-06, 06:16 AM
T
Another person suggested to install a section of border to "break up" the two rooms. Excellent idea that I didn't think of!!! It is expensive but worth it. I am looking for this type of border with similar shades and tones in both rooms. This has now helped me sleep at night!!!

http://www.inlays.com/dbID/15.html
http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/har...ng_borders.htm

Old 01-12-06, 06:19 AM
T
In addition, I don't have a header to assist in breaking the two rooms. Another suggestion was to install a 1/2 wall across part of the opening which I have seen before but because of our furniture layout, it won't work.

Thanx for your suggestions.