problems with polyurethane

Old 01-11-06, 11:43 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
problems with polyurethane

we refinished our hardwood floors in May of this last year. We spoke to a number of professionals about how to do it and after LOTS of work...they turned out wonderful. However, the polyurethane has started to bubble up or peel up at the seams of many of the boards and there's been some scratches but when i got down to look closely at them I realized the poly is kind up bubbling or peeling up where the scratches are also. We have 3 coats of poly in the dining room and 2 coats in the living room and hallway. we did all the sanding and wiping down stuff in between coats. What's going on and how do I fix it? I wanna cry!

Old 01-11-06, 03:38 PM
F
moneypit: when you had the floor refinished did the sander use a lacquer
sealer if so this would be the reason for the finish failure that you have.
if you know the products used on your floor it would be helpful. usually once a finish begins to fail like you ahve stated it must be sanded back down to raw wood and start over finishing the floor the right way

Old 01-11-06, 08:25 PM
If it is totally peeling all the coats, you had contaminates that blocked good adhesion. Wax, Murphy's Oil Soap, Pledge, are all finishing nightmares, that cause just what you describe. If this is a waterbased, too much shrinking of the wood during the dry heating season, can pull and the joints, causing peeling.

A universal sealer (shellac) should have been used to encapsulate all contaminates.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: