Polyurethane Flaking on Pine Floor

Old 01-17-06, 10:46 AM
R
RMX
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Polyurethane Flaking on Pine Floor

I installed a pine plank (5 1/2") floor in a sunroom about a year ago. I used Minwax stain, two coats, and went by the directions. Then I put two coats of Minwax Polyurethane going exactly by the directions. Less than a year later, the Poly is flaking/yellowing and scratches very easly. You can even scratch the coating with your fingernail. This floor expands and contracts just like any pine floor should do, but I never expected the surface to look so bad in such a short time. I'm thinking of sanding it down, restaining and then use a wax coating. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

Old 01-18-06, 07:50 AM
F
Originally Posted by RMX
I installed a pine plank (5 1/2") floor in a sunroom about a year ago. I used Minwax stain, two coats, and went by the directions. Then I put two coats of Minwax Polyurethane going exactly by the directions. Less than a year later, the Poly is flaking/yellowing and scratches very easly. You can even scratch the coating with your fingernail. This floor expands and contracts just like any pine floor should do, but I never expected the surface to look so bad in such a short time. I'm thinking of sanding it down, restaining and then use a wax coating. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.
most likely when you stained the floor originally with two coats of stain it needed more dry time the directions are not always right depending on the situation with two coats of stain it probably was not dry enough when the poly was applied. on the areas that are chippping is the color of teh stain on the bottom of the chips of finish.
in anycase the floor needs to be resanded to the bare wood and new stain and finish.

Old 01-18-06, 08:42 PM
Many things can cause adhesion problems. The soft easily scratched finish can also be from many things, but floorman is on the right track, on both concerns.

Old 01-19-06, 06:19 AM
R
RMX
Thanks for the replies. The drying time for the stain was about a week. Can anyone tell me if a paste wax finish over a stained pine floor would work ?

Old 01-19-06, 02:45 PM
F
Originally Posted by RMX
Thanks for the replies. The drying time for the stain was about a week. Can anyone tell me if a paste wax finish over a stained pine floor would work ?
it will work but the maintenance on a waxes floor sucks plus any liquid spills tend to dulkl the finish leaving you to have to touch up areas periodically.
i would not wax the floor it is just a pain to maintain, i would resand and try a waterbase finish from bona www.bonakemi.com the water base finishes today are much harder then the oil finishes but you cannot go to homedepot and buy a quality water finish anything they have sucks trust me i know.

Old 01-19-06, 06:37 PM
I remember my grannie waxing and buffing her hardwood floors every Sunday after church. What a pain, is an understatement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: