Laminate floor buckled

Old 01-23-06, 07:26 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate floor buckled

Hi,

I had my kitchen painted last week. They moved the refrigerator out so they could paint behind it. Now I've noticed that the laminate flooring has buckled (?) under the place they'd moved the frig to (so right in front of where the frig is normally). By "buckled" I mean each plank of wood is warped into a concave form down the full length of the plank such that it's not longer a nice even/level floor.

What could have caused this? There is a water line for the ice cube maker. Could water have done this (perhaps they pulled it out and it leaked)? Or could there have been excessive heat under the frig that could have caused this?

Can this be fixed pretty easily - we do have extra planks but we'd have to hire someone.

Thank you so much!

Sue

Old 01-24-06, 09:55 AM
S
Water leak-laminate floor buckled

Hi,

I had posted yesterday about my kitchen laminate floor buckling in front of my refrigerator (after painters had moved it). Well we found just now that the water line was actually leaking (small leak but puddle underneath). Could this have caused bucking of the floor in front of the frig (i.e. for several feet)? Will fixing the leak and then drying out the wood fix it or do we need to bring a hardwood flooring expert in?

Thanks!

Old 01-24-06, 03:04 PM
D
Fix the leak and hope it flattens out. If it does not you can replace a few planks.

Old 01-24-06, 07:41 PM
Fix the leak and replace the effected planks, after it is tested, to be dry.

Old 01-24-06, 07:42 PM
The guys that moved it and did the work, should have general liability insurance for this.

Old 01-25-06, 09:20 AM
S
Thanks for the replies! I am getting the leak fixed so there has been no water since yesterday noon. But I now noticed last night that the buckling is occurring in a few planks several feet in front of the frig - up to 10 feet away! Now why would these boards be buckling? Just from the pressure of the other boards buckling! Note that the boards are facing perpendicular to the frig (i.e. the long edge of the board is coming out of the frig).

Will it be possible to replace just those few boards in the middle of the floor?

Thanks!

Old 01-25-06, 10:00 AM
these click-together laminate floors were originated in Europe, where they disassemble an entire room of planks, take it with them when they move, and reassemble it in another house. so, yes, you can remove & replace as many or as few planks as you need to. but in order to replace all your damaged planks with new ones, you'll have to disassemble your floor all the way back to where there aren't anymore damaged ones, which sounds like half the floor.

Old 01-25-06, 10:56 AM
i can't imagine what could've caused that. you'd surely have noticed a water leak. and the fridge wouldn't heat up all of a sudden just from being rolled out. but yes, those planks can be replaced. the flooring has to be un-assembled from one side all the way back to the point of the furthest damaged plank & then reassembled, exchanging out bad planks for good ones. some baseboards and/or quarter round will have to be removed & replaced again. new caulk around the expansion gap......

Old 01-25-06, 03:51 PM
D
Painters owe you a floor, plain and simple.

Old 01-25-06, 07:58 PM
Your painters should have general liability insurance for this type of situation.

Your water line for the ice maker is leaking. They slide the fridge out as far a the line would let it and then tried to pull it more so they could get behind it. Or they diconnected it and then forgot the teflon tape on the threads, when they reconnected it or they lost the rubber seal.

Old 01-26-06, 09:21 AM
merged threads together......didn't exactly work out as i had planned! sorry....

Old 01-26-06, 11:29 AM
C
Did this happen to be a plastic water line? They are notoriously leak prone. Plastics need plasticizers to make them flexible. Over time the plasticizers diffuse away and the plastic becomes very brittle. In these waterlines, it usually shows up as a small crack running parallel to the length of the hose. It then just slowly leaks. If it was plastic, make sure the new one is copper and preferably not with a self piercing saddle valve.

Good luck on the floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: