HELP-laminate flooring - base molding

Old 02-05-06, 06:42 PM
kvfletch
Visiting Guest
Unhappy HELP-laminate flooring - base molding

Hey All,
I put down a laminate floor in my bedroom, came out fine. A couple spots should have been a bit closer to the wall but because the wall was slanted I was off a bit. however the 3/4 molding I put against the baseboard molding already there worked fine to cover it up.
However I don't like the look and want to get rid of that 3/4 molding. Any ideas on how? I heard of wider base stuff but where do you get it and how wide does it come?

Also, I messed up and didn't get it under the door jambs, so what do you do in those little spots?

Old 02-08-06, 10:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi ~ sorry to ask, but, what part of this installation is it that "came out fine"??

you should've removed the baseboards & then replaced them to cover the expansion gap. that's the way to do it to get the most professional look, and to have the new floor not look like a renovation. i guess you know that, now. at this point, i think it's too late. i don't know of baseboard that is as thick as baseboard plus quarter round. that'd be really thick stuff. anyone??? i'd be interested in knowing about this, if it exists. wouldn't it stick out further than the mouldings around the doors??

your door jambs should've been undercut. did you not know that? then the flooring gets slipped in underneath, for a nice finished looking job. there's no way to hide or cover the gap there. now, all you can do, i believe, is caulk & fill up the gap - maybe there's colored caulk out there? imo, it'll never look good though. that's a shame, too. sorry.

Old 02-08-06, 06:53 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thick baseboard

Annette,

There are MDF baseboards that mimic Victorian built-up baseboards that are as thick as base plus quarter round. The profiles are more ornate than most people use and, yes, they are going to overhang most casements. Replacing the door casements with something that uses a thick plinth block or back banding the door casements would be the right way to handle the problem. Of course, the window trim would need to be modified to match the base and case. All that adds up to a lot of work and money.

Staining and clear finishing the quarter round to match the floor gives a nice finished look for a lot less effort.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: