can i do this?

Old 02-08-06, 03:39 PM
Jacobsen 1990
Visiting Guest
can i do this?

i heard that u use a shoe mold to help hod down the laminate flooring...can i do this? my base board is already off the walls. i will be replacing them, can i ..... just lay the flooring allowing about a 1/4 inch off the wall, then sit the base board on top of the flooring to hold it? and if so how tight do i push it down to hold the flooring?

ty so much for ur help.....Billy

oh yea...i also noticed that there r different ways different flooring locks in, some kinda snap in while others u have to raise and lock in, is one any better then the other? again ty you

Old 02-08-06, 06:41 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Word of advice from my experience:

Never, ever, ever get the laminate flooring that simply locks together straight in without an angle lock. Pure h*#! for me for installation as they do not lock and stay together too well as you do subsequent rows.

Just my $0.02.

Old 02-09-06, 10:25 AM
shoe moulding & quarter round are used when people don't remove their baseboards first. since your baseboards are already off, lay your floor & leave the 1/4" gap around it (using spacers to hold the gap - remove them when you're done), then re-install baseboards. they'll hide your gap. no need for quarter or shoe base. it looks best to just use baseboards. and you shouldn't push down on the flooring with the baseboard - just rest it on the flooring & nail it into the wall - not the flooring. the floor needs to be able to expand & contract and slide under the baseboard. it's a floating floor. nothing holds it.

Old 02-09-06, 10:26 AM
F
I don't think you are supposed to 'hold down' the laminate with the shoe molding. If the laminate is popping up at the edges, you have another problem, possibly your subfloor is not level.

If you hold down the laminate, it cannot expand and you could have problems.

Old 02-10-06, 02:14 AM
J
Actually you do want to have your weight on it... or push down slightly. If you don't heavy furniture will push the floor down and make an unsightly gap there.

This will not affect the floors ability to float at all if you don't shoot any fasteners thru it.

If the floor pops or squeaks you have other issues going on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: