laying engineered hardwood over ceramic tile

Old 02-09-06, 01:14 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
laying engineered hardwood over ceramic tile

We are currently in the middle of a kitchen remodel. We are considering engineered hardwood (not laminate) and was wondering if I could glue it down over the existing ceramic tile instead of floating it? In my experince, floating engineered hardwood gives it a hollow or emty sound and feel. The tile is in good shape and has no loose or uneven tiles. If this is possible, is there a special glue to use or just the standard. Thanks!

Old 02-09-06, 06:04 PM
Yep, use a moisture cure urethane adhesive. You may need to emboss the grout lines, with a latex and portland cement patching compound, to fill them in. Also chipping high edges of the tiles that may not be sitting flat.

Old 02-09-06, 07:38 PM
B
Thanks for the info. Now when you say "may" need to emboss the grout lines, does that suggest that if my grout lines are not very deep, that I don't need to emboss them, or do you suggest I do that anyway. FYI: the previous owners put in a commercial grade type tile and there is very little variation from the grout lines and the tile.... very ugly I might add also! Thanks again!

Old 02-09-06, 09:52 PM
I would emboss anything over of an inch wide grout joints.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: