Varathane Flooring System

Old 02-09-06, 12:22 PM
Do It Over Don
Visiting Guest
Varathane Flooring System

Has anyone used one of their hardwood floor sanding machines? If so how close does it get to the baseboards? Just wondering if my little 4" B&D orbital sander will be be enough to finish the edges. Their pamphlet states that for a floor where old finish will be removed you start with 36 grit, then 50 then 80. The finish I have is very very old and I used 220 grit to test sand a small 2"x4" spot and was able to get down to bare wood rather easily. 36 grit just seems like a lot. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to offer before I get started? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-09-06, 06:29 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sanding

I've used the Varathane machine for a couple of floors. It will get close enough to the walls and corners to finish off with a random orbit sander. I would start with the 36 grit as they recommend to make sure you get rid of the old finish and any contaminants like wax. Anything you leave on the floor will give you adhesion problems with your new finish.

When you're using the machine if it makes any dust then stop and empty the dust bag. It will pick up the dust pretty well but the bag needs to be emptied frequently. Empty the bag into a can outside the building. The dust is fine and goes everywhere. I also found that the sand paper needs to be changed frequently.

The machine is pretty easy to use and you'll get a feel for it quickly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: