Hollow spots in glue-down solid harwood installation

Old 02-11-06, 08:47 AM
lparada
Visiting Guest
Hollow spots in glue-down solid harwood installation

We finished our installation of 5/16" brazilian cherry hardwood, and it looks great!. However, since nothing is perfect, I wanted to ask you about a problem that I have. We used poliurethane glue for the installation, and overall, it worked very well. However, there is a little area -about 3 sf- where I think that the plank did not make good contact with the glue -maybe it dried out a little bit-, and even using a roller, when you walk on top of it, you can hear a hollow sound. I am wondering what can I do to fix it, because unfortunalety, no one has been able to answer this in a knowledgeable manner -and we have asked in every hardware and flooring store in the area, even where we bought the floor- My subfloor is a material similar to concrete backerboard, and of top of it I used a material called insulayment -worked pretty good by the way- and then we glue it down with poliurethane glue. We tested the subfloor just in case for moisture, and no problem whatsoever with that -we live on a third floor-. Some people tell me that is better to nail it down, but the brazilian cherry is very hard and rigid, and if I nail it down, eventually the wood will try to return to its natural shape, pulling the nail in the meanwhile, and making it squeak. Others tell me to use a screw - drill a hole a little bit smaller than the actual screw, and then putting it in, making sure that the head of the screw is below the surface of the floor, and then filling it in. I know that for engineered hardwood, there are these kits where you drill a hole and then use a siringe and inject the glue in the empty space. Which one works best? or is it just a bunch of non-sense?. Thanks a lot for all your help!

Old 02-11-06, 08:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
All the suggestions given to you will work. Since the floor is not over concrete, drilling to the right depth could be hard, to inject epoxy. But that not to say it can't be done. All methods are going to leave you with a hole that will need to be filled.

Old 02-13-06, 04:16 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"My subfloor is a material similar to concrete backerboard, and of top of it I used a material called insulayment -worked pretty good by the way- and then we glue it down with poliurethane glue."

I've never heard this suggestion, although this site claims it's workable.
http://www.soundprooffoam.com/insula...ation-examples

Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: