Vinyl floor peeling

Old 02-12-06, 10:40 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vinyl floor peeling

I plan on installing a new laminate floor in my kitchen/dining room area. I've read that the vinyl floor being covered must be sound. Mine in the kitchen is peeling in large sections. I guess I have 2 questions.
1- whats the reasoning for the floor covering needing to be sound? Damage to the underlayment?
2- whats my best plan, peel it all, and/or put down a new subfloor over the vinyl? How thick should the subfloor be?
My flooring will be going in the kitchen and attached dining room, rooms are over a full basement.
Haven't decided on a specific brand of flooring yet if that makes a difference. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-13-06, 10:56 AM
by "sound" they mean that the vinyl has to be in good shape, well-adhered, not curling up, all in one piece, not peeled up here & there. you need a nice flat surface for laminate. if you've got hills & valleys, then you'll have movement in the laminate planks which will eventually crack the tongue & groove connections & then the edges of the planks start chipping off & then your floor is ruined & you've voided the warranty.

either peel it all up or level it all out with leveler or cover it all with new subfloor.

Old 02-13-06, 01:13 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
I think for the greatest likelihood of a good result with your new floor, the vinyl should be removed.

Old 02-13-06, 07:55 PM
R
Thanks for the replys. Sounds like I have more work than I first thought. Oh well, just a little more planning.

Old 02-14-06, 10:21 AM
as with most projects, most of the work is in the preparation. unfortunately!

but it's super important with laminates - it's gotta be almost perfectly flat or the floor will fail.

good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: