distressing a wood floor

Old 02-13-06, 04:35 PM
floorpro
Visiting Guest
Question distressing a wood floor

Hello, I have recently took on a job to distress someones hardwood floor. It is 3/4 in. by 2 1/4 red oak. I'm looking for some tips on what is the best way to distress the floor. Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice on the process of distressing it. I have heard that you beat it up with a chain or hammers. I will be applying a dark stain to it aswell after it is distressed. I would just like to pick your brain a little and find out if there are certain things I should not do or if anyone has experience distressing wood floors and could maybe give me some tips on the technique.

I have used the forum before and have gotten some great advice. In fact the last time I inqured about fixing hollow areas in a big glue down installation I was installing and the product that was recommended to me saved my butt. I forget who it was who pointed me in the right direction but I would just like to say It worked great and thank you so much for the awesome advice. The product was Dri-Tac.

Last edited by floorpro; 02-14-06 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-15-06, 01:19 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can experiment with chisels, planes, ice picks, nails, wire brushes, grinders, chains, etc. until you achieve the level of distress that you desire. Distressing is done prior to staining and finishing.

Old 02-15-06, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
And for added character, wear your wifes stilleto heels whlie beating and scraping it

Old 02-25-06, 03:21 PM
C
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It helps if you know how you want it to look. Check out some pictures of smooth, yet distressed floors (sometimes called Antique) - this is done with a rounded plane.

Last edited by majakdragon; 02-25-06 at 06:18 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: