Laminate over half vinyl/half carpet

Old 02-22-06, 01:19 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate over half vinyl/half carpet

I have looked through the page of this forum and haven't found this situation, so thus I am posting..

My wife and are considering installing laminate flooring in our kitchen/dining room area and I was hoping the I could get some ideas as to problems I may run into in this situation.

The flooring in this area is half vinyl (kitchen half) and half carpet (dining room). I understand the carpet would come up, but would I have to bring up the vinyl flooring as well? I am not sure how thick the vinyl is at this point. The house in only 6 years old, so everything is pretty new/modern.

Also, give those circumstances, would you recommend I have a professional install this floor? I am now new to home improvement, but have never installed a floor.

Thanks for your time and I hope to learn lots!

Old 02-22-06, 01:29 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunchbox
would you recommend I have a professional install this floor? I am now new to home improvement, but have never installed a floor.
If you have the patience and time DIY! Be sure to do all the research you can and use this forum...these guys are great!

Old 02-24-06, 10:32 AM
No you don't need to rip up the vinyl but you may need a subfloor to bring the area under the carpet to match the kitchen subfloor (minus the vinyl). I had the same situation and after I put in the subfloor I used a leveller to smooth out the transition from the vinyl to the new subfloor.

As diyaddict said, its not a bad project at all but if you have hallways and other complicated areas, it can be frustrating. You may need to do some levelling but I doubt it if your house isonly 6 years old.

Everyone eventually gets it done.

Old 02-24-06, 03:07 PM
Here's a link to basically the same question asked a few days ago ~ hope that helps! in a nutshell, your vinyl flooring is much thinner than you'd think & you'll never detect the edge of it underneath your underlayment and laminate planks. think of it as a free bonus layer of underlayment!

this is a great DiY project - go for it, good luck, & have fun!

Old 02-26-06, 07:26 PM
L
Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions guys and gals! I was hoping that would be the answer because tearing up that vinyl would not be fun!

I am suprised I didn't see that thread, Annette. Thanks for pointing it out!

Thanks again.

Old 02-26-06, 08:37 PM
R
The problem with removing the vinyl, is that unless you know that the backing contains no asbestos, it's better to leave it down and use a leveling compound to feather out the height difference. Encapsulation is still the preferred way to deal with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: