cutting laminated floor

Old 02-24-06, 08:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cutting laminated floor

what do you use to cut the flooring so the seams are not the same?

Old 02-24-06, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Most that I have seen use a power miter saw. Nice straight edges that match the next board with no gaps. Good luck.

Old 02-25-06, 06:42 AM
thanks

thats what i thought i have one just wanted to make sure before i messed up the flooring.
thanks again and man do i love this site

Old 02-27-06, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by majakdragon
Nice straight edges that match the next board with no gaps.
majak: are you kidding??

all your cuts should be for your planks that are the first or last planks of a row - and the cut edge should be the outer edge. only butt together manufactured ends to manufactured ends.

say you're working from left to right. you cut the first plank to 1/3 or 2/3 length (or whatever is necessary to keep the joints staggered), and keep the cut end on the outside - on the left. the right edge of that plank should be a manufactured edge that you haven't touched. then you lay full length planks end to end, til you come to the end of the row. cut the right side of that last plank to length. i wouldn't think you'd ever be able to cut a plank so perfectly that you can butt it up to a manufactured plank. and you shouldn't need to.

right? or am i missing something?

P.S. be sure to get a saw with a blade big enough to go thru the whole plank without having to turn the plank over to finish the cut. i think a 12" will go all the way thru, wheras a 10" won't.....?

Old 02-27-06, 11:30 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Annette
say you're working from left to right. you cut the first plank to 1/3 or 2/3 length (or whatever is necessary to keep the joints staggered), and keep the cut end on the outside - on the left. the right edge of that plank should be a manufactured edge that you haven't touched. then you lay full length planks end to end, til you come to the end of the row. cut the right side of that last plank to length. i wouldn't think you'd ever be able to cut a plank so perfectly that you can butt it up to a manufactured plank. and you shouldn't need to.

right? or am i missing something?
I 2nd this...that's what I understand!

Old 02-28-06, 06:02 AM
I'll 3rd what Annette said. Don't butt up the cut sides.

We used a circular saw. Since we re-installed baseboards AND quarter-round, we had over an inch of play and no problems with a few crooked cuts. We did a large area and the saw blade at the end of the day was not what she used to be.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: