Hardwood Floors-different stains in different rooms- ok?

Old 02-28-06, 08:53 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hardwood Floors-different stains in different rooms- ok?

I had the hardwood floors refinished in my master bedroom. The came out beautiful. The are natural oak with a poly finish only. I have these throughout my hallway, parlor and dining room. The house is a circa 1965 bi-level.

My question is should If I bring them up in the rest of the house should I try to match them in the kitchen and family room addition off the kitchen or is it okay to install a different color hard wood in these to rooms (like a cherry), maybe changeing directions. Most of the furniture in the house is traditional cherry this would be over the oak. The kitchen has natural maple cabinets and the family room is a country french look.

I'm so confused. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Denise

Old 02-28-06, 09:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,178 Likes on 1,136 Posts
Wood doesn't have to match, just blend. I keep using the same example - my in laws' lake home has an oak railing with oak finish on top of pine stringers with only poly on them and it looks fine. You're the judge here of what is going to be ok, but I think what you're proposing is reasonable. I would try to find a way to see what it's going to look like before you do it - someone else's home or a paint or design store might be the way to go.

Old 02-28-06, 11:37 AM
buncogirl22
Visiting Guest
I couldn't find any pictures for you but I have heard of people doing this with no problem. I agree with mitch- just make sure they blend and make sure you like them. Good luck,

Alice

Old 02-28-06, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
definitely a personal preference - however, my preference happens to be that i would NOT introduce another color of wood floor in the house. i would choose tile for the kitchen and carpet for the family room.

that said, if you decide to go with the cherry, then do a decorative inlaid oak border around the cherry, so as to tie the 2 woods together, and make the 2 woods look intentional, instead of an afterthought/remodel job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: