Few quick install ?'s

Old 03-02-06, 06:22 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few quick install ?'s

My wife and I recently bought some Pergo laminate flooring. It is the click type that just snaps together. The flooring will be going in our living/dining room combo that is currently all vinyl flooring. Except for a couple of edges that have lifted up (which will be trimmed flat), the vinyl is in good shape, so we are planning on floating the laminate flooring over it. In any case, I have a couple of install questions/verifications:

1. I plan on taking the flooring under the fridge, and just running it across the front of the dishwasher (under the front cover piece at the bottom). Same deal for the stove area. Should I take the flooring under the entire stove?

2. Can I move the furniture from half the dining room to the other side, lay half the flooring, and then move all of the furniture over to that side, and finish the flooring? Or does all of the furniture need to be off the flooring until it is completely finished?

3. I read somewhere that the edges need to be sealed all around the laminate flooring. I guess the caulk is supposed to go in the 1/4 gap between the flooring and wall/cabinets? Plus caulk the edges under the stove and dishwasher?

4. I am not quite sure where to start laying the flooring. The longest wall is perpendicular to the path of travel, and I think I would like the planks to run parallel to how you enter the kitchen (the only entrance to the area). This would also have the planks parallel to the sliding glass door on the opposite wall. The other walls are either short (width of dining room , maybe 8' +/-), or broken up with cabinets. No continuous long wall from the kitchen to the dining room. Hopefully I explained this ok.

5. Should the underlayment run parallel to the flooring, or perpendicular?

6. Is a laminate circular saw blade good for cross cuts and rip cuts? I only saw one blade at HD and Lowes.

7. Any tips for going into pantries and small closets?

8. Should I lift (with a dolly) the heavy aplliances like the fridge and stove, or can they be safely slid across the new flooring with those little magic feet? I don't want to scratch the floor after I just put it down. I am also guessing I should let the caulk under the stove area dry before moving it back into place?

Sorry about all of the questions. I thought of more as I kept typing. Thanks in advance for the help. Is there a way to post pics? It says I am not allowed to post attachments. Might want to show off my work when it is done

-Neil

Old 03-02-06, 11:00 PM
R
1./ put it under the stove

2./ yes, 1/2 will work

3./ only need to caulk dishwasher, use baseboard everywhere else. Only bathrooms need 100% caulking.

4./ Longest is good, with the light is better to hide the seams

5./ doesn't matter

6./ yes, with a circular saw try and cut it upside down

7./Undercut door frames, including the metal end cap at the closits and slide material under.

8./ Sweep floor really well, put fridge under 2 boards, upside down and slide. Laminate to laminate works really well. Lift stove, it's light.

9./ Good luck.

Old 03-06-06, 01:26 PM
R
Thanks for the reply. It looks like the weather will be nice and warm this weekend so we can get tis project started.

-Neil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: