Questions about laminate on stairs before I start

Old 03-05-06, 07:23 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Questions about laminate on stairs before I start

I'm attempting to put pergo laminate on my stairs of my split foyer home. I have a few questions before I get started; I've already had the experience of laying 450 ft of the stuff upstairs in the hallway and the living room, so I have the basics down. I just have a few more advanced questions.

1) Is there an easier method to remove the bull nose on the stair tread? Right now I'm measuring each side right under the bull nose, and then I'm using a straight edge to make a line to follow with a jig saw with a medium coarse wood blade on it. The last three inches I'm removing with a chisel and hammer carefully. Itís slow going but its working. Any other tips?

2) As in any older house my stairs are not completely square, I do not want to just put a square plank in and cover the crack with quarter round on the stairs. Any tips on how to someone create a template for each stair tread so there is an extremely tight fit?

3) Pergo did not recommend a glue to glue down the planks to the stairs with, I have some sub floor liquid nails left around, would this be fine for this application?

4) I bought an 80T triple chip carbide blade in hopes it would not chip the planks at all, before I even take it out of the package is this blade I want to use? I used a 60T blade when I did the living room and it left a few chips sometimes. Being that there is no quarter round I can't have chips.

5) Any other tips before I start this project would be greatly appreciated, I want to do the best job I can, I already understand this is going to be a time consuming process for a DIY to do.

Thank you,

Roy

Old 03-05-06, 02:57 PM
R
1./ Use a saws-all, the ultimate cutting tool, just be careful when approaching the wall area.

2./ Do not attempt to make your stairs a "tight fit" as the walls at a stair case will move, and as you proceed up, the wall(s) will push out, making your first step have gaps.

With stairs, start at the bottom, do the first riser, flush with the tread. fit the nosing, snug, not tight, and cut the stair pieces to fit allowing a 1/4" gap at the next riser. The next riser piece's lip should fit into that space allowing a factory edge to rest on the step. Use a square from the nose of the tread to see how much out of sq. the step is and use that calc. to make your cut line.

3./ Use a soft construction adhesive to adhere the stairs.

4./ apply green or blue masking tape to the edges to be cut, so that you cut through the tape will work, as cutting upside down will also do a good job.

5./ you may want to shut the stairs down for a while allowing the adhesive to set, it will slip and slide, and if not realigned, will make for a poor installation.

Old 03-05-06, 03:53 PM
G
If you don't want to have a tight fit on the sides how do you fill the gap and make it look good?

Old 03-05-06, 06:12 PM
R
A snug fit meaning just touching the wall sides. Don't force the laminate or you will move a wall and cause previous fits to open.

Old 03-06-06, 06:59 AM
1) Is there an easier method to remove the bull nose on the stair tread? Right now I'm measuring each side right under the bull nose, and then I'm using a straight edge to make a line to follow with a jig saw with a medium coarse wood blade on it. The last three inches I'm removing with a chisel and hammer carefully. It?s slow going but its working. Any other tips?

Use a circular saw until it wont reach, then your jig and then the chisel.

2) As in any older house my stairs are not completely square, I do not want to just put a square plank in and cover the crack with quarter round on the stairs. Any tips on how to someone create a template for each stair tread so there is an extremely tight fit?

You need a stair wizard!

3) Pergo did not recommend a glue to glue down the planks to the stairs with, I have some sub floor liquid nails left around, would this be fine for this application?

"Subfloor" Liquid Nails is not what I would use. Get the polyurethane Liquid Nails or the PL-urethane.

4) I bought an 80T triple chip carbide blade in hopes it would not chip the planks at all, before I even take it out of the package is this blade I want to use? I used a 60T blade when I did the living room and it left a few chips sometimes. Being that there is no quarter round I can't have chips.

You should be fine. I find with laminate, the slower you cut it it chips. If you run it through fast it chips less, even with a used blade. On a table saw it is when the board gets to the back of the blade coming up, it chips.

5) Any other tips before I start this project would be greatly appreciated, I want to do the best job I can, I already understand this is going to be a time consuming process for a DIY to do.

Plan, plan, plan and plan! Think 10 steps ahead at all time, and plan.

Old 03-06-06, 06:21 PM
G
I tried to find the stair wizard, but the only person who sells it online seems to be amazon and there out of stock and you can't back order. Guess it looks like its back to cardboard templates.

Old 04-08-06, 01:42 PM
R
I didnt even cut off my stair nosing, instead i used 1/4" plywood to make it flush and just put the laminate in then put my new laminate stair nosing in place. It seemed to work perfect, and if the next owners of this house dont like the laminate, at least they can take it out and still have the original stairs in tact.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: