Ideas on how to lay Hardwood Floor around (round) Fireplace?

Old 03-06-06, 01:40 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ideas on how to lay Hardwood Floor around (round) Fireplace?

Hello,

we are renovating our very first home. In the Master Bedroom, I want to put in Hardwood Floors (unfinished White Oak which I'll polyurethane myself) where we took out some nasty carpet. We have a fireplace with a round edge, here is the picture: fireplace.gif

How would I make a good transition from the hardwood floor to the fireplace? Should I simply try to cut the wood right with a jigsaw or does anyone of you know any other good options?

Thanks,
Ben

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-06, 02:23 PM
M
Undercut the fireplace. You can use an angle grinder if you can't rent an undercut saw. Beware that this can be a very dusty job. Have a helper follow your grind with a shop vac, catching as much of the dust as possible before it gets blown into the room. Wear a dust mask!

Old 03-06-06, 03:25 PM
I second! Undercut the masonry.

Go to www.Craintools.com and click on specialty saws. They have a dust containment system with a vacuum port. You need a diamond blade to make quick work of it.

Old 03-07-06, 05:24 AM
Yes undercut

I followed everyone advice from this forum. As a first time installer (granted lamiante) I did the entire job myself and undercut the fireplace. Was not hard, just get the right tool.

Be prepared for the Mess though, I cannot stress enough how messy it will be.

Anyway, undercut if you can, it is easy and looks 10 times better then using molding, our neighbors installed flooring similar unit and theirs just pales in comparision.