Squeaky 2nd floor

Old 03-16-06, 07:06 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Squeaky 2nd floor

I am in the process of putting wood floors and would like to know what can I do before installation about my squeeky 2nd floor loft. At the moment I have carpet over plywood and I notice when I walk in certain areas the floor makes a squeaky sound. I don't want to damage the new wood floor installation so does anyone have any suggestion? Do I need to reinforce the current plywood?

The wood floor I selected is brazilian walnut 2 5/8" or 3" width and I hope to place it throughout the room including the stairs which also have carpet at this moment. Is staple better choice than glue-down especially to eliminate the squeaks? I plan on doing the floors soon, and honestly I want to be sure of what we do! Any info & suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 03-16-06, 04:03 PM
J
Typically floor squeeks are caused by the subfloor (plywood in your case) rubbing against the nails that attach it to the floor joists (2" x ?" framing under the subfloor). I have had pretty good luck in my house by doing the following: 1st) countersink all of the nails with a nail set/punch, just below the surface of the subfloor. 2nd) install 2" long screws through the subfloor into the floor joists, spaced about 8" apart, maybe a little closer at plywood seams. Make sure that you are hitting the floor joists with the screws, or it won't stop the squeeks. Also be sure that the screw heads don't stick up from the subfloor surface, or it will mess up your new flooring installation. I used coated deck screws with a square drive head. These seem to be easier to drive (with a variable speed drill) that the standard phillips head screws. I hope this helps you out.
Joe E

Old 03-16-06, 04:24 PM
M
Thanks Joe, definitely will do that! One last question, when installing the wood floors should I do a stable or a glue down installation? Any suggestion with this?

Old 03-18-06, 02:08 PM
J
Staple or Glue

I'm not a flooring expert, just an avid DIY'er trying to offer some help. I really don't know if glue or staple is better. Perhaps one of the forum's experts can give you advice on this.
Joe E

Old 03-18-06, 04:30 PM
It all depends if the manufacturer allows gluing it, or fastening it. Is this an engineered or a solid wood.

Old 03-20-06, 12:28 PM
M
Question

manufacture suggested either glue down or staple for this type of flooring. I just wanted to know which method would be better for my floor because of the squeaky situation. I was thinking staple would be a better choice for less possible noise but I am not sure. Any suggestion?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: