help me get the paint off of the cement

Old 03-17-06, 07:58 PM
donnamo
Visiting Guest
Question help me get the paint off of the cement

I am attempting to install Mohawk 5" engineered flooring over cement that my builder totally covered in paint when he built my house 4 years ago. I have scraped the floor and after 8 hours and many blisters succeeded in getting one wall done. I called Mohawk tech support and they said to use paint stripper on the slab and wait 48 hours before I do any installing. I will be using their urethane glue. I have read on their internet site not to use solvents. Is paint stripper and mineral spirits a solvent? After I called tech support, in frustration, I used the mineral spirits down this one wall and then wiped the cement down with a wet cloth. Did I screw up? Their internet site says to chemically or mechanically remove the paint, but what chemicals are they talking about? I think I have gotten in over my head.

Old 03-18-06, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bead blast the concrete surface with a concrete bead blaster.

Or you can scrape everything down to a residue and the skim coat to encapsulate the contaminates the adhesive doesn't like. ARDEX SD-F or Mapei Ultra.

Old 03-18-06, 10:34 AM
donnamo
Visiting Guest
Where do you purchase Ardex as the people at Lowes and Home Depot look at me like a deer in the headlights when I ask them for something that I don't know about. I actually found Mapai Ultraflex 1, 2, and rapid speed. I don't know which one to purchase though. I live in the Dallas area. Does the environment have anything to do with which one to use. It seems that Ultraflex 2 is more giving than 1. Would it work better with the engineered flooring?

Last edited by donnamo; 03-18-06 at 02:01 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: