Laminate Wood Floors - Start in the center of the room?

Old 03-18-06, 04:29 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate Wood Floors - Start in the center of the room?

I am getting ready to install laminate floors in my kitchen. I have researched and asked questions over the past month to get a feel for what I am in for.

I have a question:

Two people have told me that I should start laying the floor in the center of the room and move out towards the walls? Has anyone ever heard this? All instructions seem to indicate that you start in the corner. What's best?

Any advice? Thanks!

Old 03-18-06, 08:16 AM
F
Originally Posted by phranc2002
I am getting ready to install laminate floors in my kitchen. I have researched and asked questions over the past month to get a feel for what I am in for.

I have a question:

Two people have told me that I should start laying the floor in the center of the room and move out towards the walls? Has anyone ever heard this? All instructions seem to indicate that you start in the corner. What's best?

Any advice? Thanks!
Others will chime in for sure, but that's a bad idea. First you need to measure the width of the room, and determine if you'll have to cut one/both of the end runs (your instructions should explain this. Once you've figured that out, then start at a wall. You can assemble the first row or two and then slide it against the wall, but I'm not sure why anyone would start in the middle of the room. By the time you'd get to the side, if you had to make any small adjustments for expansion gap at the wall, the floor would be so heavy you wouldn't be able to move it.

Unless you can find a reason that outweighs starting at the wall, I wouldn't do it.

But maybe some of the pros here see something I don't.

Old 03-18-06, 10:16 AM
R
If the laminate floor is a snap system, they like to be installed in one width direction only. That is, the groove, away from the wall.

You can lay the product in the other direction, buts it's a real pain, especially with the butt or small seams.

Find the most prominant wall, do your math, and start there.

Old 03-18-06, 04:42 PM
I'm not one of the pros but I have started in the middle of a room twice because I wanted to first line up a hallway that ended in the center of a large room

It just seemed easier for me to do the hallway first so I did all my cuts for the doorways on one side of the hallway and got a hallway closet going. The hallway boards extended into the large room.

That way I knew the boards would look straight going down the hallway and I'd have some of the tougher cuts done when it was easier.

Once into the room I went both ways and I did not find it tough at all. I had the snap system. Going the wrong way was slighltly more awkward but not bad. I might have gotten lucky?

Maybe lay a few boards out and see how hard it is to go both ways.

If it wasn't for the hallway, I don't think I would start in the middle of the room unless there is a reason I don't know about.

Old 03-20-06, 07:58 AM
R
my 2 cents worth: i wanted a straight line of wood down the center of a long bedroom, so i just laid the first 2 rows of laminate right down the middle and mde sure the seam looked good. when it looked straight, i mesaured carefully, down to the 1/16 inch towards the correct wall to start the first row. in other words i used the center row only as a guide. i also would not start to lay at the center and work to both sides.

Old 04-12-06, 08:30 PM
R
Old cunfusius carpenters say front wall first.

Old 04-18-06, 11:27 PM
R
I couldnt imagine taking the time to start in the center of the room.
We did our 2 rooms, and started along one wall, working our way to the other. Do your math as previously stated. most of those flooring packs come with instructions and include dimensions for measuring/determining your start and end plank widths...

very few rooms are square, and few will notice that its 1/4 inch off either corner of your room...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: