Prep grinding high spots in cement floor

Old 03-20-06, 10:33 AM
phil mcc
Visiting Guest
Prep grinding high spots in cement floor

I am planning to put laminate on my cement basement floor. There are a few high spots that run along cracks in the floor that are very localized to the crack and rise about 1/2" within 3 or 4 feet. (No water has ever come through these cracks as the basement is well tiled but I will fill them with crack sealant). The rest of the floor is pretty flat.
Perry Wright recently wrote a wonderful step-by-step response piece on cement floor prep for wood floors and within that text made mention of grinding high spots. I've never done this before and have no idea if this a difficult process. What piece of equipment do I use and where can I get it? What is my alternative to bringing the entire floor up to the highest point? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-20-06, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First map the high spot so you know where to start and stop.

Then rent one of these

This is a Taylor Tools Extreme Machine. They also come without the dust containment, but you don't want that or you will be cleaning dust for years.

Then under that machine you need this attachment.

Then you need to make sure it has the diamond pucks to cut the concrete fast.

Or go to http://www.taylortools.com/extreme.html and look at all the options.

Old 03-20-06, 12:35 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
: )

Wow that thing is sweet. If the spots are small or not too bad, I just used a $15 hand grinder from Harbor Freight. It seemed to work fine, but is sure put out the dust. I had a mask on but had to stop periodically. I heard the dust can be dangerous to you so be careful. I really only had a couple of places to grind down were the concrete must have been slashed a bit. It worked fine and my floor looks nice. If it is big go with that commercial deal Perry suggested.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: