installing laminate flooring over vinyl flooring

Old 03-21-06, 07:13 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a slab foundation floor that now has the square vinyl tiles over it and I would like to install laminate flooring. I was wondering if I could install the laminate flooring over the vinyl tiles instead of taking up the vinyl flooring. I know I have to put the foam and plastic stuff under the laminate flooring but I was wondering if I could put it on top of the vinyl flooring. Also where do you start laying the flooring? I was told to start where the door is. Where is the best place to start?

Old 03-22-06, 09:50 AM
Go right over them. No problem. That is what is so appealing about floating floors. The only thing to worry about is how flat the substrate is. Meaning you can usually go over any hard surface that doesn't have more then 1/8" in 6' low or high spots.

Old 03-27-06, 10:45 AM
B
i'm also planning to put laminate on our family room and kitchen.

right now, we have carpet on the family and vinyl on the kitchen. there is an aluminum transition from the carpet to the vinyl on the kitchen.

my question is, after i remove the carpet in the family room, should i also remove the vinyl in my kitchen? or is it ok to lay the laminates without removing the vinyl? i'm thinking if i don't remove the vinly, the area where the kitchen and family room meet will be uneven.

thanks for the info guys.

Old 04-07-06, 12:40 PM
B
ttt =)...im hoping you guys can help me out with this...thanks..

"i'm also planning to put laminate on our family room and kitchen.

right now, we have carpet on the family and vinyl on the kitchen. there is an aluminum transition from the carpet to the vinyl on the kitchen.

my question is, after i remove the carpet in the family room, should i also remove the vinyl in my kitchen? or is it ok to lay the laminates without removing the vinyl? i'm thinking if i don't remove the vinly, the area where the kitchen and family room meet will be uneven.

thanks for the info guys."

Old 04-07-06, 05:03 PM
Oh, it may have gotten a better response, had you started a new thread.

Take up the transition metal. If this is over a wood subfloor, you may find the vinyl is installed over a " of underlayment.

That height difference will need to be corrected. Float with floor patching compound, or pull up the underlayment and vinyl in one demolition.

Old 04-11-06, 10:14 AM
B
thanks mr. wright for the response....

i have concrete subfloor...it looks like the vinyls are glued directly to the concrete and i don't think its over 1/4" thick (the vinyl i mean)...

will i still have to remove the vinyl? and what's the best way of removing vinyl?

thanks again...

Old 04-11-06, 05:26 PM
The thickness of most residential sheet vinyl, is within flatness specs for laminate. You won't notice it is there. Go right over it.

Old 04-11-06, 05:32 PM
H

Hi, Wewant to install pergo accolade laminate in our kichen, family and dining. Is it good pergo accolade? What about Armstrong natures gallery? Is it good in kitchen and other areas? Thankyou

Old 12-03-06, 06:12 PM
E
You can install laminate flooring over it as long as the slab foundation floor is flat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: