Painting wood floors

Old 03-22-06, 10:59 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting wood floors

I have been asked to paint hardwood flooring in a house, the flooring was already painted once about 5 years ago but now when the woman living there mops the paint washes off. That make me believe maybe some one put latex over oil? I am not sure though. THis is a rental home and the person there has already started painting the floor with porch / floor paint from wal mart called color place paint. I would never paint any thing with paint from wal mart but now I have a choice to paint over what the customer has already done or continue with that stuff. I would think I should sand the floor first to make sure the paint gets good adhesion but I am not sure whether the original paint is lead or not. What to do??? I do not want to come back in a year because of the same problem. I would appreciate any advice I can get. Murph

Old 03-22-06, 11:11 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I've never understood why people have wood and then paint over it. What the point of using say, mahogony trim, if you are just going to cover it with paint, use pine and save the good stuff for someone that appreciates it. /rant off

Obviously, the best course here is going to be to strip the floor bare and start over. If the paint is peeling, anything you put over it will also peel.

Old 03-22-06, 02:15 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
?

I figured that but it is a rental property and the owner just wants something done fairly cheap. I am afraid to strip/ sand because the house is early 1930,s and I don't know what type of paint is there ??Lead??
Thanks for the reply I agree you shouldn't paint over wood floors ever. Its not that expensive to have them refinished correctly. Murph

Old 03-22-06, 02:17 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It sounds like floor was not properly prepped for paint and there were adhesion problems. Painting over flaking and missing paint will not solve the problems and will likely not look good. As indicated, the floor should be sanded and preferably a polyurethane finish applied. If you do not want to go back in a year due to problems, do not take the job if the woman will not pay to have the floor done correctly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: