Popping boards on newly installed hardwood flooring

Old 03-30-06, 02:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Popping boards on newly installed hardwood flooring

I recently had new hardwood boards installed throughout the main level of my home. The installer stated that they may squeak until fully climatized and may depend on humidity levels in the environment of my home....fully understandable. Having said that, I noted apprx 8 places where the boards pop when I walk over them. I contacted to installer and he gave me the same answer. Can anyone verify this claim?
In advance thanks for your help.
JohnDavid

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-06, 05:18 AM
It shouldn't have been installed until it was fully acclimated.

Old 03-30-06, 05:45 AM
The installers job is to know the humidity levels in the home, along with what the moisture content of the wood was at time of installation.

All fasten down floors are going to develop noises over the years of summer AC and winter heating cycles.

Old 03-30-06, 05:29 PM
Popping floor boards

thank you guys for your reply, however, I was concerned about the popping sound coming from the boards as I walk on them and after my foot leaves that particular board....much like walking over a 'bouncing betty'. It only reacts once I release the pressure of my weight,,,,, John

Old 03-31-06, 12:26 AM
How long was the flooring sitting inside your house to acclimate before it was installed? Is it a 2 1/4" solid strip or wide plank?

It's possible that the floor will settle in, but is more likely that the subfloor has some low spots that were not addressed first.

It is also possible his nailer ran out of fasteners there before he caught it. Magnets or a stud finder can tell you that.

Old 03-31-06, 11:18 AM
I'm just a one-time DIYer, but I had a couple spots that popped as well. Since they occurred near the board ends, I attributed them to split tongues which were a challenge not to do with a hard wood like Brazillian Cherry. I simply put in a face-nail at the board end and puttied the divot. Problem fixed. I've also read in older posts that you can try baby powder, but that is probably more for squeaks than pops. Just my $.02

Old 04-04-06, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by johndavid3232
...much like walking over a 'bouncing betty'. It only reacts once I release the pressure of my weight,,,,, John
Did you have your prior floor ripped up? Happened to me: guy ripped up tile and the plywood under the tile and damaged the subfloor. In my basement you can see where the subfloor was actually cut!!!!!! Thus in this area my floor is "squishy".

Old 04-06-06, 05:28 PM
Lack of flatness of subfloor, failure to acclimate and check moisture levels of hardwood flooring and subfloor before installation, and improper nailing are some conditions that cause wood floors to pop. As indicated, face-nailing may correct the pops.