How to care for parquet flooring?

Old 04-19-06, 07:07 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to care for parquet flooring?

Hello,

I have moved into a new place and the floor is parquet.

How do I care for it - right now, I have just been vaccuuming it. Anything else I should be doing - damp mop?

Help?

Thanks,

Tmuld.

Old 04-20-06, 08:15 AM
if you're using a regular vacuum with rotating bristles, eventually the brush will scuff the floor's finish & make it look dull. either turn off the brush action, or if you can't, just sweep.

if it's a polyurethane finish, it's very low maintenance and you can use a very slightly damp mop or one of the wet mops, like Clorox wet mop or swiffer wet jet. don't use wax of any kind.

if it's got a wax finish, don't use any waterbased products on it or it will cloud up the finish. instead, you use _________. (sorry, i don't know what you use!! i just know you DON'T use water of any kind, including the wet jets, or even Murphy's oil soap, because it's mixed in water.....)

Old 04-21-06, 05:30 PM
T
Parquet Flooring CAre

Hmmm...

Any idea how I find out what kind of finish I have on the floor?

I don't want to wreck it!

Thank again,

Tmuld

Old 04-23-06, 12:34 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You likely have a polyurethane finish. Acetone will not harm polyurethane. Test in inconspicuous place to see if it has any effects on finish. Wax finish will turn white from water. Test in inconspicuous place with a teaspoon of water. Shellac or varnish will scratch off with a coin.

Polyurethane finish should be cleaned with a cleaner that specifically states that it is safe for polyurethane finish. Avoid the 'safe for all floor' products and cleaners and treated mops that leave residues that can soften and dull finish. Avoid products that contain waxes or oils. Damp mop a section at a time with plain water (can add 1/2 cup white vinegar to 1 gallon water). Make sure mop is squeezed nearly dry. Toss an old towel on floor and buff dry before moving on to next section. Wax finish will require rewaxing with a thin coat of wax to remove soil and restore shine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: