Laminate under door jambs

Old 04-26-06, 09:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate under door jambs

I'm laying laminate in a hallway that has bedroom doors on both sides of the hall. I'll be laying the laminate parallel to the length of the hall. How do you get laminate under door jambs so the finished job looks nice and professional? The jambs are high enough off the subfloor that I don't even need to undercut the jambs. I have no problem sliding the starting board under the jamb half-way through the door and putting a transition piece between the laminate and the carpet in the bedroom. The problem is getting the laminate under the jambs on the opposite side of the hall, where you have to 'click' the last row of laminate into place. Because you have to start laying the last board by inserting into an existing laid board at a 30 - 45 degree angle and then lay it down to lock it into place, you can't 'slide' it under the jamb, and cutting the last board to fit around the jamb looks like garbage. How do you get the last row laid when you need to get part of it under a door jamb?? Thanks in advance for any help, it's greatly appreciated.

graywolf

Old 04-26-06, 10:45 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If I'm understanding you correctly, you should be able to slide the last piece in and tap it in instead of clicking it in with a tapping block or using a crowbar (ones made specifically for your laminate). Or as I've read in previous posts and replys...kicking it in with your toes (while wearing your sneakers). Sorry if I misunderstood you!

Old 04-26-06, 10:58 AM
yeah, you're misunderstanding him. he means: no matter which way he lays the planks, left to right or right to left, whichever side he's going toward, that last plank needs to go UNDER the door trim, so he can't click it in & have it go under the trim. your way would work if he were just going up against a wall & using quarter round (or not - and then you can remove the baseboard), but he's not. he's dealing with a doorway & wants it to go under the trim & jamb.

when i ran into this, i took off the door trim, but then was left the door jamb to deal with. my doorway was just to a laundry closet though, so it didn't HAVE to look good, and believe me, it didn't! i just filled the gap with the caulk & kept the door closed!

i'm anxious to hear what the pro's say to do....

Old 04-26-06, 04:39 PM
Laminate Under Door Jamb

I think Annette understands me correctly. (Wish I was allowed attachments, then I could draw a picture). I've heard of the 'tap in' method before but don't see how it would work. Unless I'm misunderstanding, basically you're saying "lay the last piece flat up to the groove on the second to last row and force it in". Wouldn't that method break the groove on the plank you're tapping the last piece into? If the groove breaks the integrity of the floor is compromised because the joint along that last board could fail and come apart. Thanks for your input, but I'm still hoping for a better answer (and hopefully it won't be "Take the door jamb off"). graywolf.

Whoa!! Found a post back in June/July of last year where Perry says you can shave off part of the groove so you don't break it when you tap the last piece into place while it lays flat on the floor. He also recommends gluing the tongue into the shaved down groove. That method sounds pretty good to me and I think I can make it work so I can get that last piece slid under the door jamb. Thanks everyone for all your input.
graywolf.

Last edited by graywolf; 04-26-06 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Added new info
Old 04-26-06, 08:18 PM
Cut the lock lip off the plank. Apply PVA glue in the groove and compress fit. tape it over night.

Never tap a rotating lock together as suggested above. It will crack/split the groove side, and separate later, if you don't beat the plank to death trying it, unsuccessfully.

Old 04-26-06, 08:28 PM
Laminate under door jamb solved.

Perry,
Thanks for reiterating the solution that I found in one of your posts from June/July of last year. Also, thanks for affirming my theory that forcing the planks together would break the groove. Shaving and gluing works for me!!!
Graywolf

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: