"Upgraded" underlayment worth the ???

Old 04-27-06, 11:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question "Upgraded" underlayment worth the ???

We are about to install laminate flooring over a concrete slab. The flooring manufacturer also sells the a 2-in-1 combination underlayment (foam and moisture barrier). Should I stick with the manufacturer's underlayment, or should I go for an "upgraded" product called Quietwalk that is considerably more expensive. It is about 47 cents/sq ft for the quickstep versus 15 cents/sq ft for the manufacturer's 2-in-1.

Has anyone used Quietwalk instead of the more basic underlayment? Was it worth the additional expense? We don't have a second floor so noise reduction isn't really the issue.

We're buying our laminate through BuildDirect.com and I need to know whether to place the underlayment order at the same time to get the manufacturer's product or to just buy the Quietwalk locally. (Since it's an online order, it's much more cost-effective to get everything shipped at once instead of making a new order later.)

Old 04-28-06, 09:50 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Always stick with the manufacturer's underlayment requirements.

I don't know anything about the "Quietwalk" but if it suits your needs and is the manufacturer's underlayment requirement (and it's just an "upgrade"), I don't see why not. I take it that it helps with the noise reduction...what else is the difference? If you don't need or care for the noise reduction and there's nothing else in the upgrade, then I personally wouldn't pay more. I would always go with the best product only if it suits the needs and requirements.

(Since it's an online order, it's much more cost-effective to get everything shipped at once instead of making a new order later.)
I think you answered your own question. IMO

See what others have to say though if anything.

Old 04-28-06, 10:07 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Quiet walk Choices.

I laid 1200 Sq feet of Laminate and used Quiet walk. I recommend it. It is much thicker than the 2-1 product. I believe I paid about $40.00 per roll for it. (Are you going to stay in this house forever? How many Sq feet are you using? ) These questions are all considerations in your choice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: