Solidified carpet glue on poplar

Old 05-02-06, 07:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Solidified carpet glue on poplar

I have very little experience with carpet removal, and I have never seen anything like this before. We are moving into a house built in about 1890. The carpet we tore out had been there since the early 60's.

Most of the pad/glue scraped up with a putty knife and some elbow grease, but there are huge patches, primarily around the perimeter of the room, where the padding and glue/epoxy/whatever are rock hard.

Mineral spirits didn't help, xylene didn't help, and a belt sander barely touched it.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks.

Old 05-11-06, 04:49 PM
S
I just went through the same thing. I went to home depot and got this stuff called strip eze adhesive remover. Follow the directions (for the most part...I let it sit a little longer)and prepare for the battle of your life. Your arms will be huge when your done. It took me 6 days on my hands and knees to remove a 12 x 12 area. I just sanded yesterday, it looks good, but don't expect to get it all, you won't. Use a random orbital for the remaining. My wife calls the remaining stuff character marks.

Old 05-16-06, 12:23 PM
K
Great stuff to remove carpet adhesive

I had the same problem- having to remove old carpeting from a floor. I found this stuff at Home Depot called Sentinel 747 Plus- it worked GREAT! I followed the directions and the carpet and adhesive came right off. I would definetly recommend it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: